Bit by the Supra

SupraDuty

Feb 18, 2008
Missouri
So I've been lurking on this site for a while now...bought an '88 Targa Turbo last July and this past fall had some power steering problems...so my car has sat for a while...didn't plan on driving it much this winter anyway but decided to tackle it now that temps were getting warmer. I remember reading on here...Supra MKIII, making mechanics out of owners since 1986...well after studying this site I figure might check the screen on the bottom of the power steering reservoir...sure enough it was pretty well clogged so I worked on cleaning it out...got most of it out, buttoned everything back up and of course the battery was dead when I tried to start her up to bleed the system. So after waiting on the battery to charge up, start her up and she is chugging...hmm...let her idle a bit...she settles down, I let her warm up and go around to look under the hood. There is smoke coming out of the cam cover and white smoke from the exhaust...blown head gasket! So now not only is the power steering still not fixed, must need a new pump...but now I have a blown head gasket. So I may not be a mechanic but this car seems bound to make one out of me.

SupraDuty

Feb 18, 2008
Missouri
Ok...so part of the problem was the bad mechanic...me! The computer flagged some codes so I checked the super monitor and it flagged the air intake...then I realized I forgot to hook up the sensor plug on the air cleaner box...doh! So engine stumble problem is gone but the exhaust is still white...not sure if that might be just from sitting so long. But what I started out to fix is still broken...looks like I need to order a power steering pump. Not sure what was causing the smoke from the valve cover...that is gone now.

SupraDuty

Feb 18, 2008
Missouri
No, was ready to...wanted to see if the power steering was fixed after cleaning the screen. I have some time off work so I'll get the power steering pump ordered and get that done next..oil change and hope she's back and ready to go...miss driving it.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
SupraDuty;942604 said:
No, was ready to...wanted to see if the power steering was fixed after cleaning the screen. I have some time off work so I'll get the power steering pump ordered and get that done next..oil change and hope she's back and ready to go...miss driving it.

-new feul
-new oil
-new coolant would be a good idea w/flush
-injector cleaner
-tune up may also be useful but not necessary as the gunk will burn off the plugs and wires eventually (most likely)

SupraDuty

Feb 18, 2008
Missouri
I changed the coolant after I got it...had some problems with the engine overheating a little...replaced the thermostat which has helped but it still acts up a little...going to replace the fan clutch before summer hits. These cars keep you busy.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
That sounds like a BHG to me... to be sure do a compression test.
I think it should be about 190psi (correct me if I'm wrong)
Is their any coolant in the oil or vise versa?

SupraDuty

Feb 18, 2008
Missouri
No coolant in the oil or vice versa...been very watchful of that ever since I got the car. Haven't done a compression check so can't say I don't have one...just the signs the car has given steer me to other things...like the fan clutch.

Think I found my problem with my powersteering though...there is an adjusting strut that allows you to tension the belt...it would appear that the bolt holding that in position is gone...belt tension is loose...that would be better than a new pump. Just kicking myself that I hadn't seen that sooner, missed out on a lot of driving.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Just to be safe, get the exhaust gas check kit thing from a parts store and test your coolant for exhaust gas... better safe than with a BHG.

I would say to bump the overheating/cooling problem to the top of the list of things to fix... or a BHG will be a reality. A pressure flush of the cooling system or even a new rad (if it's in the budget) may not be a bad investment. 20 years worth of gunk in the rad may be the culprit for the cooling issues. Overheating can/will anneal the soft aluminum head, causing even more problems after a rebuild.

Good luck with your car, I think you've got the right idea going on :)

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah there are BHG tester kits should be a priority since they can be pricey especially the longer you wait