Bilstein with stock springs?

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
I am looking at buying shocks, and was thinking of going with the stock springs, they are linear and seem to have fair spring rates in comparison to most of the aftermarkets. I am not that interested in progressive springs. Has anyone done this? Any opinions on how the bilsteins with our stock spring rates will compare? Keep in mind I have 91/92 springs. Thanks for any info

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
They will handle almost like stock. The stiffer aftermarket springs are what usually provides the noticeable handling change over the stock suspension. The dampers just control the motion of the springs. The stiffer springs are what provides the resistance to movement that makes the car feel more responsive and reduces dive, squat, and other things that are unwanted.

You would have the same result with any aftermarket shock paired with stock springs (and damped properly for them).

Also, by "handle like stock" I mean like NEW stock, not old worn out stock dampers.

FYI, The TTR came stock with slightly stiffer springs and bilstein shocks.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Alot of the springs for this car are incorrectly listed as progressive because of the built in helper spring they use to hold the spring in place at full droop. When the car is set down on the ground the entire upper set of coils bind and the functional part of the spring is then linear. At least, this is how my Dropzone springs are (which work well, but drastically overlowered the car in the front, I raised it up with custom spring perches).

RSR used to make a spring set for our cars that was very aggressive, but it's hard to find now.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
I see, I was looking into the RSR but they are from what I heard discontinued. I suppose I should look into some linear aftermarket springs then. I just know when comparing to this list:http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?75269-Stock-Lowering-Spring-Rate-Compilation
it seems like the stock springs would be stiffer then the majority of the linear springs offered. Such as being firmer than the ST, whiteline.
I have heard progressive is not ideal, but many have higher spring rates

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
destrux;1764013 said:
Alot of the springs for this car are incorrectly listed as progressive because of the built in helper spring they use to hold the spring in place at full droop. When the car is set down on the ground the entire upper set of coils bind and the functional part of the spring is then linear. At least, this is how my Dropzone springs are (which work well, but drastically overlowered the car in the front, I raised it up with custom spring perches).

RSR used to make a spring set for our cars that was very aggressive, but it's hard to find now.

They are definitely aggressive. I have them on my car paired with Bilstein shocks, and the suspension is pretty fricken tight, although for my preferences I need to install my new swaybar.

With the spring/shock combo I can take a right hand sweeper at 65 with pretty much no body roll. anything over that and I can feel the car starting to lean at which point I slow down...
With the new bar I should be able to take it up to 80+ comfortably ;)

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Yeah those RSR spring had almost double the rates of the stock springs if I recall.

If you really want stiff linear springs, coilovers are your best bet now. Megan EZ coilovers seem to have somewhat of a following here, same with the Megan Track coilovers.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
destrux;1764386 said:
Yeah those RSR spring had almost double the rates of the stock springs if I recall.

If you really want stiff linear springs, coilovers are your best bet now. Megan EZ coilovers seem to have somewhat of a following here, same with the Megan Track coilovers.

I meant to post this list in my previous post, and yep the RSR race had significantly higher rates.
Check this list to compare the rates: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?75269-Stock-Lowering-Spring-Rate-Compilation
My previous post will make more sense, as I forgot to add the link. I will edit it for clarity LOL

And FYI seems the RSR had 677 front and 335 rear. Whereas the stock 89+ had 461 and 215 rear. Thats a difference of 68% and 64% respectively. Thats a significant increase, but I feel like compared to many of the linears and even some progressives that the stock springs may provide a fairly powerful combo with the bilsteins. With the additional perches for lowering, and the still fairly good spring rates (see whiteline and tokico, they provide drop but actually have lower rates than the stockers) on the stock springs I feel like I might give it a shot. Just wish I could get my hands on some RSR race springs. :/