BHG or warped head what say you?

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
My sad sad tale

about a month agho I replaced my old engine with a JDM with 30K when I did that I had a metal HG put on as well as arp head studs. I drove the car for about 3 weeks and put 500+ miles on the motor just to be safe and played nice while I was doing it. after that I added a MBC and was in process of trying to get it dialed in.

Last Friday I went to the track I made a total of 3 runs we wont talk about my times cause well we just wont. I didnt have any problems at the track the car ran fine(save for hitting fuel cut). on the way home I came to a hill thats a 6.5% grade the temp guage spikes and I see steam comming from under the hood. I was allmost to the Zoo exit so I tried to baby it to the Zoo and parked it.
It was late so i took the train home from the zoo and went back the next day with a new hose and water. The car starts fine and on the rest of the way home it ran fine no temp spikes. altho it was idling rough.
I called a friend who has been helping me work on the car because the car was idleing rough past 1500 RPM it smoothes right out. he said sure bring it on over and we will have a look. I did that well on the way over the temp guage runs as expected for about 10 miles then its startes yoyoing up and down getting closse to hot then back down then coloser to hot then back down. well it finealy gets to close to hot and I pull off and let it cool put more water in and then start out again. needles to say it took me like 4 stops to get the rest of the 15 miles to his place.
So what we have done so far is clean out the valley it had some water in it from the blown hose and the rough idle is still there. Changed the plugs the idle is still the same and the car is still overheating. We have taken the thermostate out and its still overheating. We have also backflushed the motor and still no progress. There is no oil in the water or water in the oil. We did a compression test and all the cylinders are dead even. any suggestions?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
my car was doing similarly... i'd suggest checkin oil press. readings, if they're off, that could be your problem... either my oil journals in my crank were clogged, or my oil pump was bad, but friction from the crank would make my car run hot and overhead w/ brand new parts for every component of my cooling system, and no thermostat, it ran like this for about 200 miles or so before a rod bearing spun.... i'd suggest running a detergent in your oil (in case the oil journals are clogged, and i only use royal purpel now)... just an idea... on my old motor, my crank and head were warped :-/... i dunno about the idling though :-/

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
that's really odd.... maybee it's something to do w/ the coolign system. try starting the car when it's cold w/ the rad. cap off and waiting for it to get to operating temp, well, actually you don't have the thermostat in, so just start it w/ the rad. cap off and see how much forche the water has that's flowing through the rad. could be a bad rad? i dunno... how does the temp do at higher speeds? (cruising at like 80) also heard something about someone having a bad heater core...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
A warped head causes a BHG. If you overheated the engine due to any number of things, weak fan clutch, missing or broken shroud, missing undercover, dirt on the outside of the radiator, poor circulation through the radiator, and you can over heat the engine on a long heavy load. Overheating the engine can cause the head to warp. And the BHG is a side effect.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
When it works properly. Screwed up will be like a limp dick at all times. So it will slip excessively when turning fast, and not moving the required CFM. They can also seize, and the engine will just be loud all the time, and rob HP. Great for cooling though.

supramike7m

92 teal-wn turbo
Jan 29, 2006
prescott, Arizona
just start your car with the hood open, then have someone shut the car off,
the fan should stop very quickly if your clutch is working, if not then your fan will continue to turn for a while.

johnathan1 said:
how do you test the fan clutch?