BHG 4runner Edit: 96 Cherokee

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
[strike]I found and emailed someone earlier today about a 1994 4runner with a blown head gasket. He posted it on craigslist for $700. I haven't heard back yet, but I'm wondering if there's anything in particular I should look for in this thing, or if I should avoid it entirely.

Here's the link: http://lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/2015700893.html
Requested pictures, can post when he gets them to me.[/strike]

ret;1631301 said:
Talked to a friend who I found out still has his Jeep. Has a bad motor, but otherwise it's fine. It's a 96 Cherokee, I should be able to pick up a motor for a few hundred bucks. Anyone around here advise against it?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Might want to call toyota and ask about recall on hg for that year. Iirc there was a hg recall for 4 runners but i dont remember what years.

If it applies you could get a major deal adn toyota would pay for all the work and parts.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
I looked into the recall a year or two ago and I'm pretty sure it applied to all 3VZ-Es (Or maybe it was the next generation, 5VZ-FE), but looking around now I haven't seen any recalls aside from exterior lights and steering linkages. I think that recalls expire after a decade, though I have heard of instances where Toyota dealerships will still honor the recalls. I also think that since I would be buying it with BHG as a pre-existing condition I'd run into trouble there, too.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
The 3vz sucks anyway. I'd rather have an underpowered 22re. (and I do, for that matter)

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Talked to a friend who I found out still has his Jeep. Has a bad motor, but otherwise it's fine. It's a 96 Cherokee, I should be able to pick up a motor for a few hundred bucks. Anyone around here advise against it?

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
ret;1631301 said:

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT! The XJ jeeps' inline 6 4.0 litre engine is a GREAT engine. Itll last FOREVER if you take care of it; and it has a nice amount of torque for what it is imo. We used to have two in my family, only have one currently. And the chassis is at like 300k miles, we changed the engine at about 285k because my aunt let it overheat. It overheated because the cooling system they had on em BEFORE 89 was crap. If you get one thats pre 89[I think], id highly recommend changing the cooling system to a 91 and up. Youll be able to tell if you have this cooling system by having a coolant tank up against the firewall that has a pressure cap on it. What usually happens is that this lil pressurized plastic tank explodes or cracks. Its very easy to convert. I can give you a lil more info on this swap if you want. Just LMK.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
I think I'm going to get it. I already found a few motors floating around for it for around $400, I'm sure I can find them cheaper if I call a couple junkyards but I've only checked craigslist so far. I'm going to check it out Friday morning, will post pics. I know it has a little front end damage from hitting furry forest animals. If I remember correctly the grill is pressed up pretty close to the radiator, but that's not anything I'm too concerned with.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Went to look at the jeep this morning, pictures as promised.
p1633934_1.jpg

p1633934_2.jpg

p1633934_3.jpg

p1633934_4.jpg

p1633934_5.jpg

p1633934_6.jpg

p1633934_7.jpg

He does have the fender flair messing in pic 3 and the wheel missing in pic 4. It looks like to get it to pass inspection, it'll need a new long block, headlights, 4 tires and little doo-dads here and there like fixing the turn signal on the front driver's side. MAYBE a new front bumper but I'm not sure.

And then of course eventually I'd go by and replace things that need the attention that bother me, like both front quarter panels, the back bumper, so on and so forth.

Any opinions?

fixitman04

fixer of all things !!
Sep 18, 2008
north dakota
i wouldnt give more than 300$ for that hunk. there are lots of running examples of that thing in nashville and the surrounding areas for less than a grand. looks like it has had a very hard life.

ret

Geekin out
Nov 20, 2006
Lynchburg
www.cardomain.com
Nothing like that around here. The cheapest XJ I've been able to find is $1500 for an auto 94. I may have found the only shortage of Cherokees in America, or it may just be that people aren't willing to part with them due to the reliability. Either way, fixing this one up is my cheapest option. If I pay him the $500 I initially told him I would (before having gone to look at it, assuming it had been in better condition), that puts me at $900 if I still can't find a cheaper motor, probably looking at $1200 to get it to pass inspection if I did everything myself and strive for the minimum. Throw in another couple hundred for the inevitable "This build won't go smoothly" parts, and it's about even with the 94 but I still get the comfort of having a 5 speed.

As for the life of the jeep, it shows the worst. Mechanically, aside from the motor of course, everything's working great. I drove it at 200,000 miles and everything was functioning fine - transmission shifted smooth, clutch grabbed well, steering felt solid - it drove better than my Nissan with 100k less miles. The body's had a lot of abuse but no damage to the frame or any other components.

Ordinarily I would straight up offer $300-350 for it, and still might, but since it is a good friend I don't mind paying the $500 I initially said I would, especially because he's in between jobs right now.