Beware of iPod wiring... it can leave you stranded

Scot

Enough is Never Enough
Jan 9, 2008
Houston, TX
Here's one for the WTF trouble shooting database. I have an 04 tahoe that I bought used about 4 years a go. It came with a iPod connection that I have used the entire time. Driving home from work the other day the Hoe shuts down... no power won't crank... I find a 40 amp fuse blown under the hood. I replace it and it pops again.

My buddy tows me back to my place and I break out the service manuals to find that this 40 amper feeds about 10 other fuses. So I remove all the fuses and still have a ground at the 40 amp plug. I started fretting because I thought it was my ignition that might be shorted out.

Then something tells me to disconnect the iPod cluster fuk and the problem cleared. I have not traced the wires back to see where the idiot spliced in a non-fused link. But in the end. it was the ipod wiring that left me stranded. Had I taken it to a dealer or any other mechanic, it might have taken forever to find the problem because of where the ipod crap was hidden.

I don't mean to say it was iPod related.... it just happend to be the iPod wiring... could have been any aftermarket wiring job.