Best wideband

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Very pleased and impressed with the NGK Powerdex AFX unit.

(It was recommended by IJ, so it HAS to be good.;))

p1721947_1.jpg

-crisp

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
crisp;1721947 said:
Very pleased and impressed with the NGK Powerdex AFX unit.

(It was recommended by IJ, so it HAS to be good.;))

p1722079_1.jpg

-crisp

+1 for AFX, works very well and is extremely simple. Make sure when if buy it, you buy one with the NTK sensor, not the Bosch! NTK is much more accurate. My only complaint is that the update speed of the digital readout is rather slow, but if you are logging with the analog output, the update speed is very fast.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There all good.

I like the afx for the digi gauge to mount on the steering column cover vs a reg round pod gauge.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
hvyman;1722107 said:
Says it was used with the bosch sensor not the ntk one.

Not quite...
This is what they said.

"Considering NTK makes
their own wideband sensors, it is a
surprise this unit ships with a Bosch
sensor."

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
CyFi6;1722079 said:
+1 for AFX, works very well and is extremely simple. Make sure when if buy it, you buy one with the NTK sensor, not the Bosch! NTK is much more accurate. My only complaint is that the update speed of the digital readout is rather slow, but if you are logging with the analog output, the update speed is very fast.

steven89;1722109 said:
Not quite...
This is what they said.

"Considering NTK makes
their own wideband sensors, it is a
surprise this unit ships with a Bosch
sensor."

Was refferring to the test in the link. They used the bosch and cifi is saying the bosch is crap so the afx got a shit review. Should be redone with the better sensor. Need a good sensor to get good readings.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
hvyman;1722113 said:
Was refferring to the test in the link. They used the bosch and cifi is saying the bosch is crap so the afx got a shit review. Should be redone with the better sensor. Need a good sensor to get good readings.

Oh ok, my bad.

But on a side note. Ive heard that the AEM ones are pretty good. [Atleast as far as the bosch sensor based ones] And if my innovate fails on me, thatd prob be what i switch to.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The AFX can be purchased with both the Bosch or NGK NTK sensor depending on where you buy it. I question that article considering they didn't provide any numbers, mostly speculation. Also, they said there was no analog output on the AFX, which is definitely false.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
CyFi6;1722119 said:
The AFX can be purchased with both the Bosch or NGK NTK sensor depending on where you buy it. I question that article considering they didn't provide any numbers, mostly speculation. Also, they said there was no analog output on the AFX, which is definitely false.

Think that article is from like 07 though,so idk if they always had analog or added it. But the only reason i followed that review was because that was the only review i could find comparing the widebands that i was considering.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
I have the AEM Wideband and dont have any problems with it. But I think youre gonna find that everyone will be a little biased with their recommendations. Most people will only have used 1 wideband (including myself) and can only speak on their experience with it. I like the AEM, but like Im saying, its the only one I have used, so I dont have anything to compare it to. Youre best bet IMO, would be to talk to who will be doing your tuning and see which they prefer and why. If they are unfamiliar with the unit, it doesnt matter what you buy, your results will be less than your expectations.

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
2543arvin;1722127 said:
I have the AEM Wideband and dont have any problems with it. But I think youre gonna find that everyone will be a little biased with their recommendations. Most people will only have used 1 wideband (including myself) and can only speak on their experience with it. I like the AEM, but like Im saying, its the only one I have used, so I dont have anything to compare it to. Youre best bet IMO, would be to talk to who will be doing your tuning and see which they prefer and why. If they are unfamiliar with the unit, it doesnt matter what you buy, your results will be less than your expectations.

Wise words.

In MY experience (been AROUND others, observed their function and aesthetic, but like many, other than the narrowband I also use... have only used the AFX) the AFX unit is a good unit for the following characteristics which I have noted:

- BRIGHT and EASY TO READ!!! (Almost TOO bright in anything but broad daylight... but WORKS GREAT in daylight is a real plus!)
- LARGE, EASY TO READ NUMBERS!!!
- EASY CALIBRATION
- HOLDS CALIBRATION (incredibly well for LONG durations through multiple cycles - street use in my case)
- COUNTDOWN (20 second countdown "clock" while element preheats. This feature is VERY COOL, PRACTICAL and the KIDS and passengers LOVE IT!:biglaugh:)
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION (Both the sensor, cable and sheath, coupler and main housing. It's all high-grade stuff.)
- PRACTICAL (Being so easy to read... and showing the a/f in the form of 00.00 digital display... it's really easy to know where you are at and work toward your target.)

Slight "weakness":

As mentioned above, the "refresh rate" during real-time operation is somewhat "latent", and it also tends to "jump in increments" or not "scroll" through the number sequence, but jerk to a number and hold it for a moment and make another jump. Like a "sampling rate" thing. Less pronounced when idle/mixture or throttle/ratio is stable, and erratic when in throttle/fuel ratio transition. Very minor annoyance, and I only thought of it as an annoyance because of the other comment...;)

There are likely other things to consider, but those come right off the top of my head. I also like how it was an easy mount for me, and I further like the "box" type shape! (Fits with my HKS components theme...)

p1722189_1.jpg

p1722189_2.jpg

p1722189_3.jpg

p1722189_4.jpg

In the end, it's mostly up to personal preference and budget.

-crisp