best welder for me??

Untouchable7mgte

back in the game!
Apr 1, 2005
Wilkes-Barre,PA
hey guys im looking into getting a welder but i just dont know which one to get. I know there are ARC, MIG and TIG. Most on them use gases buim looking for one that doesnt use gas. I dont know if there are any out there that dont but if ones better than the other ill get it. Im only going to be using it to make exhaust maybe some IC piping. But some info on this would be awesome.

Thanks
tom

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Tom: You could get a small invertor based Mig that will run flux cored wire so you don't need gas and it will run with gas so later on if you decide to go that way you can!

Selz202

More than Regular Member
May 1, 2005
Black Diamond Wa
Would a miller mig 175 welder be suitable for me? Id like to do practically the same thing.

Also my friend said he could weld aluminium ic piping with his mig but using an aluminium spool... would he actually be able to do it without burning holes in it? I know it mostly depends on wall thickness, but what have you guys seen? Hes pretty skilled.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mig is used a lot in welding Aluminium boat Hulls and can give good results it's just not pretty like a Tig bead.

I've ran aluminium through my Mig before but you need a Teflon Liner to get the best results and a Pull Torch that has drive rollers at the gun end as the wire can kink and jam if pushed from the spool.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
I remember welding ally conveyer belt frames for a mine site using a mig.Lots of white dust, green light, lots and lots of toxic gas clouds.Have to use oversized (inside hole elnarged to 1 size bigger ie 1.2mm on a .9mm wire tip) contact tips or if u get 1 little kink the wire feeder will keep feeding but it just bunches up inside the liner.
pure argon gas for tig/ally/stainless...unless u like porosity
goodluck and keep us posted.