Best way to change turbo gasket

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
Hi, I install my upgrade CT26 last winter at the same time of a MHG and many other things. Put new seal and gasket on everything. The problem is that my turbo oil feed gasket is leaking between the oil feed line and the turbo (completely under) and I think I know why. Last winter while I was removing the turbo I pry with a flat screwdriver between the turbo and line to unstuck it. It scratch the surface of the oil feed line. SO I took a sandpaper and try to smooth it flat. Maybe the small unlevel surface that could have been create is the reason of the oil leaking?

I need to know what would be the easiest way to change it. I have an extra OEM used pipe + a new gasket. Should I completely remove the turbo to access the pipe or you would do it by the underside.( I dont know if its possible?)
Should I used my used pipe or should I bought a stainless flex one from driftmotion. Would it be easier to install? Should i use some silicone or anything except a gasket will burn?

I have the capability to do it since I already rebuild my head, and etc last winter with success... but it really piss me off to remove perfectly working parts to access the defect one. I know this is part of the supra game, but if I can save some time with the help of experience member, I would really appreciate it.
(sorry for english grammar mistake, my first language is french)

Thanks for the advice!

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
You can but its a real pain to do it right with the turbo in the car. Your main problem is getting a clean surface turbo side for the gasket. Its easier off car and even easier with the softline kit.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
what i learned was take off the turbo (four bolts on manifold, and 4 bolts on the back of the turbo) then the two bolts on the turbo drain (to the one on the block but the one attached to the turbo)
this was the easiest for me.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Pull the turbo, its going to be so much easier if you do. Then you can inspect the surfaces and make sure all the old gasket is cleaned off and there are no scratches on the turbo itself. Use an OEM gasket, and I put a VERY light amount of right stuff sealer on both sides (as light a smear I can do) just for extra assurance. If you put too much you can and will block the feed or drain lines as it oozes out. Make sure you torque the nuts properly as well.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
I found taking the turbo off way easier for this. And the main problem i have had putting it back in is where the oil feed bolts to block but I found a good way to do it. Get your drain lined up on the studs and turbo on the manifold but do not bolt anything down. Bolt the oil feed to the block first thing. Then bolt everything up from there.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Another vote for pulling the turbo, you'll probably spend just as much time and will likely have more problems if you don't. Personally if the extra OEM lines are in good condition I'd just use them.