Best suspension upgrades

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
supragobs;1908672 said:
haha im an idiot well good now im going to order all 3 pairs for rear the traction camber and toe and ill probably do the tie rods too sense i just ordered a new steering rack spacer i also need to order a new rack and pinion though :(

You can get a remaned Rack and Pinion from RockAuto

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
yeah im probably going to order the one from rock auto next weekend ill have to check out napa as well how hard is the rack and piston swap im not mechanically inclined but have a friend who is? he said he would need a lift though and i really dont want to talk it to the shop for it

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
DeMoN2318;1908918 said:
Cant I just adjust the arm length to align?

Cam washers just move the bars in and out right?

Yep, but that requires removing the end of the arm. When the car is on the alignment rack, it's sitting on it's own weight, and the cams are manipulated to get it to align. Yours would require jacking it up, removing the arm, turning it, reassembly, and then checking. It's still not going to be exact because you have to go by half turns, hence your need for the cams...

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Poodles;1909572 said:
Yep, but that requires removing the end of the arm. When the car is on the alignment rack, it's sitting on it's own weight, and the cams are manipulated to get it to align. Yours would require jacking it up, removing the arm, turning it, reassembly, and then checking. It's still not going to be exact because you have to go by half turns, hence your need for the cams...

The bars have opposite threads on each end...so you just rotate the bar and it shortens or lengthens...infinitely adjustable. Then tighten the nuts so the bar cant rotate.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Had to look them up, and yeah you're right. The old stuff on the market wasn't like that.

Still uses heim joints though :3d_frown:

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
supragobs;1909992 said:
ill be getting my rear camber and traction arms on wednesday and probably having a friend help put them in on thursday

If you are getting the toe bars too you should wait till you get all three sets before installing. You have to install the toe before the traction.

Hopefully they fixed this with the new red bars but the stock cam bolts wouldnt fit through the heim joints...I was deleting the cams anyways so it didn't bother me but just fyi...you may have to make a hardware store run.

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
oh really well damn i wont have the toe links for a bit probably because i need to do my rack and pinion asap! but would i need to get alignment after doing my camber and traction and then again after getting my toes as well and do i need to do an alignment after rack and pinion too?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
supragobs;1910441 said:
oh really well damn i wont have the toe links for a bit probably because i need to do my rack and pinion asap! but would i need to get alignment after doing my camber and traction and then again after getting my toes as well and do i need to do an alignment after rack and pinion too?

You can still install your traction and camber bars...you will just have to loosen the traction and swing it down to install the toe when you get it...no biggie. I just thought if your toe was gonna be a few days longer than the traction and camber than you should just wait and do it all at once.

The stock traction bar is non adjustable, so carefully measure its length when you remove it and make your new link the same length when you install it. The stock camber bar however is adjusted using the cam washers...If your alignment is good now you can probabaly take some measurements of the cams rotation and the stock bar length, do some math and get the required length of the new bar (assumes you eliminate cams) this should get the alignment with the new bars pretty close. If you reuse the cams then just make some match marks before disassembly, make the new link the same length as the stock link and set the cam to the same orientation.

I would suggest getting an full alignment after you get all the links done though.

As for the front alignment...I am not sure if changing the rack will require a reallignment. Logically I wouldn't think it would, granted the new rack is a direct replacement and the tie rod ends are the same distance from certain mounting locations...basically if you match the new exactly to the old and install it no geometry would change. Check the TSRM, I know there are certain lengths that you are suppose to set...

If you are careful and measure twice you should be able to get your allignment pretty dang close to how it is now. But get a full alignment after you finish your suspension mods.

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
Awesome thank you demon! My friends a Toyota mechanic ill show him this but he said it shouldn't be bad I'm mechinacally inclined so I have my buddy help me with the supra and I learn a little from it so he said ill need one afterwards but as long as it's measured correctly and all we can get the alignment pretty good then I should be okay driving for a month or so? This is my last week at work some I'm going to be short on funds.

But I want to get this stuff done before I leave in April for basic

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
supragobs;1910493 said:
Awesome thank you demon! My friends a Toyota mechanic ill show him this but he said it shouldn't be bad I'm mechinacally inclined so I have my buddy help me with the supra and I learn a little from it so he said ill need one afterwards but as long as it's measured correctly and all we can get the alignment pretty good then I should be okay driving for a month or so? This is my last week at work some I'm going to be short on funds.

But I want to get this stuff done before I leave in April for basic

If your alignment is pretty good now, and you measure closely and take your time you will be fine for a month or so. Obviously dont track it or drive too wild until you get the alignment done but for daily driving it should be fine.

If you get this phase done and are driving it and you can tell the car is poorly aligned (pulling really hard to one side or excess vibration) then you may consider getting it aligned before you get the toe bar installed...or adjust the bars some and see if you can correct the alignment enough to make it tolerable. But if it feels unsafe then just spring for the alignment...it may delay your toe bars slightly but safety first.

Maybe your Toyota mechanic friend can hook you up with a discount on the alignment...

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
Sweet thanks for the input ill see what we can do haha Hopefuly it goes smoothly and yeah he just got layed off :( but has a friend to do it maybe for an okay deal so ill have to check

dude4253

the speed of slow
Oct 9, 2007
Gainesville, Florida
Drifting.... here are some basics

Once bushings, ball joints and the basic matience is done
Project MU brakes shoes
Weir Diff kit
Steering rack spacers
Spare set of rims and all the tires you can get
SEAT TIME!!!

In my opinion you don't need all the fancy arms yet, you need to learn your car first.
Seat time is invaluable, if you can do it in this under powered boat of a car with no angle then you're golden :)
A lot of people spend thousands on suspension and then bomb at the track due to lack of seat time and cockiness
Start slow, do controlled donuts then move into controlled figure 8's once you've got that down you're ready for the track
After a track day or two you should be able to determine what you can do to improve, if suspension arms are needed then you drop $600 on them
Hopes this helps

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
Dude4253 that was very good input thank you very much and i did already put the traction and camber arms on going to order some new bushings when tax return comes in swapping in my differential tomorrow then rack and pinion with the spacers on it this weekend and after that ill start finding some spots sense snow has been melting now finally dry out!