Best suspension upgrades

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
Hey i have been looking into suspension upgrades for my 86 supra, which i want to turn into a drift car. All I have installed so far is my coilovers im curious as too what are best suspension upgrades to go for first. Pretty straight forward thank you for your answers

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
-Energy bushings all around. Poly trans mount.
-Rack spacers and bushings.
-Check wheel bearings, tie rods ball joints for play.
-Retorque subframes and all suspension components.
-Could also use poly subframe bushings.
-4 wheel lazer align.
-non lsd GL5 diff fluid. (Add additive to taste)
-check center ds bearing for play.

What about brakes?I have Brembo rotors,EBC Redstuff, ATE super blue racing fluid, stainless lines. I can lock up my kuhmos at 70mph with this setup.

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
sweet thanks for the quick replies ill be ordering the rack spacer and some bushings this weekend only with new traction arms and rear camber arms as well i have an open diff so im ordering a lsd from a 7mgte a guy is selling as well im excited to have it all arrive

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
hvyman;1908130 said:
LSD needs the additive.

Most Diff fluid sold in stores now has LSD additive premixed. If your diff is older it won't lock hard enough. I've also haven't had any success with any synthetic diff fluid.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
supragobs;1908117 said:
Hey i have been looking into suspension upgrades for my 86 supra, which i want to turn into a drift car. All I have installed so far is my coilovers im curious as too what are best suspension upgrades to go for first. Pretty straight forward thank you for your answers

Some ST front and rear sway bars with upgraded endlinks wouldn't hurt. Not crazy expensive either.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
supragobs;1908327 said:
Well I was going to buy new traction, toe links and camber arms for rear I'm ordering the LSD traction and camber arms this weekend toe links next weekend

You getting the Battle Version Arms from Drift Motion? I just installed them and it went pretty smooth...had to make washers to replace the cam washers and had to buy different bolts but nothing a few trips to Ace didnt solve. The Toe Links also have thicker sway bar end link mount tabs

=supragobs;1908327 said:
sweet thanks for the quick replies ill be ordering the rack spacer and some bushings this weekend only with new traction arms and rear camber arms as well i have an open diff so im ordering a lsd from a 7mgte a guy is selling as well im excited to have it all arrive

Be careful when torquing the inner tie rods...since the spacer moves it out you will get less thread engagement so more torque per thread. I stripped my driverside inner when trying to install the spacers. I have a set of Beech spacers and a new passenger inner tie rod I'll sell you...PM if interested

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
Be careful when torquing the inner tie rods...since the spacer moves it out you will get less thread engagement so more torque per thread. I stripped my driverside inner when trying to install the spacers. I have a set of Beech spacers and a new passenger inner tie rod I'll sell you...PM if interested
Thanks for the heads up! I probably won't do it for a few weeks cause of snow and I don have a garage but I may be interested if I need them and yes the package from drift motion

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Beech performance also sells some beefy arms. There in the vendor section. Iirc 600 for all 6.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
hvyman;1908338 said:
Beech performance also sells some beefy arms. There in the vendor section. Iirc 600 for all 6.

Beech's are very similar to the Battle Version, except Beech's chamber and traction bars are only adjustable on one side, but BVs Toe is only adjustable on one side...mix n match maybe? About the same price for all 6... BVs are also a sick red color!! I'm pissed cause I bought mine when they were polished aluminum...not red

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
Yeah I'm excited for the red they have haha at some taste to the bottom of the chassis drift motion doesn't have te toe links though which sucks but what about front suspension any recommendations

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Doesnt matter if its adjustable at both ends. Just needs to be able to be adjusted enough for alignments.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
DeMoN2318;1908331 said:
You getting the Battle Version Arms from Drift Motion? I just installed them and it went pretty smooth...had to make washers to replace the cam washers and had to buy different bolts but nothing a few trips to Ace didnt solve. The Toe Links also have thicker sway bar end link mount tabs

Are you saying you replaced the bolts that hold the arm on and eliminated the cams?

hvyman;1908408 said:
Doesnt matter if its adjustable at both ends. Just needs to be able to be adjusted enough for alignments.

Really, you only need to adjust them once, and make fine tuning with the stock cam bolts.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Poodles;1908455 said:
Are you saying you replaced the bolts that hold the arm on and eliminated the cams?

Yea I eliminated the stock cams since the bars are adjustable. I still have the cams on the front lower control arms

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
supragobs;1908350 said:
Yeah I'm excited for the red they have haha at some taste to the bottom of the chassis drift motion doesn't have te toe links though which sucks but what about front suspension any recommendations

DM has toe links...

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-bvmk3suprareartoelinks.php

Front suspension...you already have coilovers...I'd say new lower ball joints that are greasable, new tie rods (if you install steering spacers you might as well since they will be off), new upper control arms if yours are bad or going out, Poly steering rack bushings, and sway bar...thats all I can really think of. Other members will probably have more suggestions

supragobs

Dec 18, 2012
Spokane Washington
DeMoN2318;1908541 said:
DM has toe links...

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-bvmk3suprareartoelinks.php

Front suspension...you already have coilovers...I'd say new lower ball joints that are greasable, new tie rods (if you install steering spacers you might as well since they will be off), new upper control arms if yours are bad or going out, Poly steering rack bushings, and sway bar...thats all I can really think of. Other members will probably have more suggestions

haha im an idiot well good now im going to order all 3 pairs for rear the traction camber and toe and ill probably do the tie rods too sense i just ordered a new steering rack spacer i also need to order a new rack and pinion though :(