Best silicone to use with a gasket?

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
I just finished putting my car back together after doing a headgasket and everything's working smoothly but the throttle body is sucking air. I used the gasket that came with my gasket set but it's still sucking air. I have no toyota dealers anywhere near and I have to get it on the road tomorrow. I plan on using the gasket I have with some silicone but was wondering which kind would work best. I work for NAPA and we have quite a few different kinds. Is there one that would be better than the rest or doesn't it matter? I know somebody is going to say get a toyota gasket or order one from work but I don't have the luxury of waiting.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Any will work as long as it's sensor safe. Fwiw the gasket should not leak. Your surfaces must be uneven, not torqued correctly, or something else is wrong. I've made TB gaskets out of everything from gasket sheet to beer cartons to cereal boxes and none leaked. From a gasket material standpoint that one is probably the least demanding.

rob21a48422

1JZ+Holset=Go Fast!!!
Sep 7, 2007
Port Huron, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Thanks JJ. That's exactly what I was looking for. When I had everything apart nothing looked out of order and it didn't leak before I did the teardown. I'll inspect it better when I get it apart tomorrow. I think the gasket I have and a little sensor safe silicone like you said will get her purring like a kitten. Thanks again!!