Best Rotor/Pad Combination for MK3?

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Hey guys im looking to pretty much replace some brake components. i know my stock rotors are worn past OEM specs. my brake pads still have some life on em..and my calipers are pretty much stock. Now i remember aaron mentioned something to me about a big brake kit involving pulling something off of a mustang. other than that alot of the big brake kits going for 2grand are much too expensive for me...i dont race this is just for daily driving. Can anyone recommend Rotors, (i was told slotted is better than the drilled and cross/drilled because the drilled rotors crack easier), brake pads, calipers, and anything else! so far ive been looking at rotora and powerslot rotors, and Axxis brake pads. Any thoughts and opinions would be appreciated :]

Thanks

John

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Anyone? =( i need some help! maybe some lower end big brake kits. keep in mind for daily driving only!i dont really care about dust from brake pads. just as long as they last me the longest! thanks

John

MKIIISupraGuy

Sep 14, 2009
Lousy-ana
I'm looking at doing the same thing. Probably gonna go with powerslot rotors and EBC pads. I've heard about pedal fade with the axxis pads from my research,plus they squeal a bit, and in my experience... EBC's are tried and true, with great pedal feel. Oh and I'll probably order the braided brake lines from Driftmotion...lol. Hope this helps, cuz I research stuff quite dilligently before I make a purchase decision.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
^^ agreed. i ahve too. but when i went on supra forums i was looking at their rotors. THey said that they do not recommend the powerslot rotors because they are cheaply made in taiwan?! i have no idea if i should trust this. it was from an established vendor on Supraforums.com. they recomended the Rotora rotors t hat are made in japan. not too much more money they are like 105 each. so im very confused! lol

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
terrific. :D i was lookin at brembo...and everything else. i get a damned headache just lookin at all this stuff and then thinking about all the other crap i gotta go through!!

boostinprine

Nov 6, 2007
Carbondale, IL
porterfield, hawk, performance friction all make excellent pads probably more than the axxis pads but its worth every penny.

as far as rotors anything will work, solid rotors of decent brand will work great, or slotted if you want the look but the performance gain isnt very noticable. The cheap chineese rotors tend to wear and warp faster than brand name stuff.

as far as calipers your stuck with what you got unless you get a kit, which for street daily driver car probably not worth it. just buy some good street pads for all corners and im sure you will be suprised at the brake quality of the stock size components.

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
so basically just good pads? hrm. yea cuz i could get stock style OEM rotors for like 30 bucks a pop. but i was lookin at rotora slotted rotors and those were around 90-110 a pop. i was told they are better quality and dissipate heat better so it leads to longer life of the rotors (warped) so i figured maybe it might be worth it?! i dunno. im confused. LOl

88jspec

By any Means Necessary...
Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta..Ga
I had the Porterfields and they were pretty good, after they wore out i did reseach on the EBC pads, and decided to give them a try. I was amazed how great they were, these pads grab and do not fade. The new EBC pads have new material, so far they are the best pads i have had, the price is higher than the porterfields. i order mine from summit racing. (EBC Red Stuff)....the old ebc pads were crap, the new pads are awesome, do your research...good luck

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
I have slotted brembo(raptor racing) rotors, with porterfield street pads and the setup is awesome. No squealing at all and I stop on a dime.

boostinprine

Nov 6, 2007
Carbondale, IL
YoungGunSupra;1443190 said:
hrm. yea cuz i could get stock style OEM rotors for like 30 bucks a pop.

I would stay away from no-name autozone type rotors. good rotors are worth it up front IMO. you get what you pay for, i was just saying that sloted or drilled rotors dont have much benefit, more for the look.

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
don't forget about cryo treatments...if you buy new rotors, you send them to a company and they treat them and send them back, then you put them on. when i was looking at it - it was around $70 each...there are some big pros to getting them treated. mainly longer lasting...you're not going to worry about warping, better stopping power, and the actual rotor will not wear as fast as a non-treated one. so - better braking and longer lasting...for the price of almost another set, lol. just throwing it out there.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
88jspec;1443201 said:
I had the Porterfields and they were pretty good, after they wore out i did reseach on the EBC pads, and decided to give them a try. I was amazed how great they were, these pads grab and do not fade. The new EBC pads have new material, so far they are the best pads i have had, the price is higher than the porterfields. i order mine from summit racing. (EBC Red Stuff)....the old ebc pads were crap, the new pads are awesome, do your research...good luck

So you'd recommend the EBC reds over the Porterfield R4S?

88jspec

Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta..Ga
Alec;1443893 said:
So you'd recommend the EBC reds over the Porterfield R4S?

..yes the EBC Reds did a better job of stopping my car over the porterfields, it was a big difference, it seems the faster you go the better they work with no fade. i was very surprised how well they held up to the high speed braking. during my research I found out that EBC made changes to the material they used and also replaced some of there top quality people. so i think this is what help them produce a top quality pad....

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I've had regular brakes....switched too brembo rotors and pbr ultimate ceramic pads...hate the pads!!!! They stop well but fucking squeel the whole time and already need replaced after 1 year....rotors look good though.

I'll be getting Toyota pads next time.

H1SP33D

Jun 27, 2009
los angeles
got brembo cross drilled rotors with Performance Friction carbon metallic pads. BEST pads ever. been driving hard for more than a year and still have about 80%. i had yellow stuff pads before but they only lasted a little more than a year, but the performance was good. rear is BlackLabel rotors w/ hawk pads

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
+1 for staying away from autozone stuff.

For my money, Brembos are great (I have brembos that have been cross drilled, with PBR pads and haven't noticed any problems so far). I personally feel like the stopping power is weak hoever, but that's a problem with the stock brake setup, not the pads or rotors. That's just part of using single piston floating calipers. :nono:

To the topic starter, Doward assembled a brake upgrade kit for the front wheels. 13 inch cobra rotors, with dual piston floating calipers. Grimsta sells the the entire kit, (rotors, calipers, pads, rings, brackets, and lines) for around $600, but that is front only. So if you want to improve your brakes but not get a big brake kit, that's the way to go IMO.

Oh and if this is only a daily driving setup, you shouldn't have to worry about cracking rotors, esp if you go with a good quality brand.

Alec

SP Tuned
Apr 6, 2009
Illinois
88jspec;1444078 said:
..yes the EBC Reds did a better job of stopping my car over the porterfields, it was a big difference, it seems the faster you go the better they work with no fade. i was very surprised how well they held up to the high speed braking. during my research I found out that EBC made changes to the material they used and also replaced some of there top quality people. so i think this is what help them produce a top quality pad....

Do they squeak at all? Do they fade?

88jspec

Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta..Ga
Alec;1444191 said:
Do they squeak at all? Do they fade?

-- no squeaking anytime, wet or dry, hot or cold and no fade...the pads look top quality, the pads come with a break-in compound on them, in which i think is great. if there is something negative about these pads i would tell you for sure. ask around maybe someone else has them...