Best oil for N/A with 71k miles

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hey guys, I am about to do my first oil change on my stock 1987 N/A Supra with 71k original miles. I was wondering what would be the best oil to run in my car, just regular non-synthetic oil, non-synthetic high mileage oil, or something like Valvoline VR1 racing oil with higher zddp levels.

Along with what kind, what would be the best weight of oil to run in my motor.

I have alreay bought a WIX oil filter and got some drain plug gaskets from Toyota, so the only thing that is left is to decide what oil to use.

Thanks for any input, and suggestions.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Id use german castrol 0w30. Its available at most pepboys and autzones. Says made in europe or germany on it. Castrol syntec. 1 of the only true full synthetics out there.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You could also try and read some of the threads here (esp the stickies) and Motor Oil 101 (link in my sig), then you could make up your own mind. A novel idea, I know - just a thought ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
starbursttut.gif

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
hvyman;1748401 said:
Why did you go with that?

I went with non-synthetic, because I didn't want the synthetic to clean out my seals and allow my engine to leak, since I drive this car daily. I went with 5w-30 because it was the lowest cold start viscosity I could get in a 30 weight non-synthetic oil. I chose Valvoline MaxLife because it seems like a good brand, and I figured the high mileage would be good even though my car isn't real high mileage it is stil 24 years old.

I was also tricked by the picture.:nono: