Best Catch can For 7m?

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
I am about to get a catch can for my MkIII. Since I have been looking I have come across 3 different types. Pics of all are posted. I Just want to clarrify which would most suit the 7m.

The first has two inlets and a small filter on top in order for venting. Now the way i see it is you would block off the accordian and TB and run the two Valve cover outlets straight to the inlets of the Catch can. This is what im leaning towards as I don't want to vent it back to the Intake.

The second has Two inlets and another one at the bottom. I cant see the point in this as it would mean the Oil caught in the CATCH can would be vented staright back into the Accordian? ( if you routed that way)

The Third has two inlets and thats it. Now my understanding is you NEED some kind of venting. So would you run the two Valve covers into one inlet and maybe a filter off the other or back into the accordian.

Any info or tips or advise would be appreciated. Cheers.

Attachments

• catchtank.jpg
    catchtank.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 17_1_b.jpg
    17_1_b.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 60
  • fa_1_b.jpg
    fa_1_b.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 75

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
Justing How did you hook yours up? did you run the two Valve covers into one? What did you block off? got a pic?

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
i don't have a picture as both the cars are still in progress...

however: get an NA pipe that brings both valve covers into one outlet, take that to one nipple on the catch can and the other nipple to the accordian hose

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
I kinda wanted to no what everyone blocked off, how they hooked it up and what style of catch can they used? and Feedback on them? Just curious.

Justin727

T-virus infected
Here's a pic of my old setup.. Funny thing after i took that pic that day i replaced alot of my bolts and nuts with stainless ones.. should have waited to take the pic but was helping someone else with this same question.

p56742_1.jpg

You really dont have to run a catch can and just cap off the pcv nipples on the tb and accordian and run 2 heater hoses off the valve covers to the bottom of the engine bay

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Justin said:
i don't have a picture as both the cars are still in progress...

however: get an NA pipe that brings both valve covers into one outlet, take that to one nipple on the catch can and the other nipple to the accordian hose
I had my fresh 7m plumbed this way and the NA T-piece doesn't flow nearly enough to cope with the blowby @ 6000 on the Dyno.

It pushed the DipStick out and dumped oil onto the WG.

Last edited:

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
IJ. said:
I had my fresh 7m plumbed this way and the NA T doesn't flow nearly enough to cope with the blowby @ 6000 on the Dyno.

It pushed the DipStick out and dumped oil onto the WG.

oh that's not good to hear!!!!!

7mSuprapower89 said:
i have the obx version of the greddy. heres a pic of how i had it on my white car.

uhm. isn't that exactly how it was before? the blowby is just going to get sucked right back into the accordian hose........

Justin727

T-virus infected
i would not reroute it into the accordian pipe. Although mine isnt any better yours would suck more oil back into the system leaving residue in the intake manifold. I would have capped off the accordian and ran that hose to the bottom of the engine bay... Thats pretty much a middle of the line bling because the catch can is suppose to catch the oil and where u tapped it is at the bottom of the can where if any oil goes it would hardly fill and flow into ur turbo..

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
if it blew your dipstick out, than you have more blowby than you need. I have mine tee'd into one using a tee from the headlight washer system. I have never had my dipstick blow out even at redline with 18 lbs of boost coming from my 57 trim

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
7msuprapower your pic dont work 4 me? Anyway thanks for the replys, Does anyone else run one that has the filter ontop? And Justin727 I totally agree that having one with the outlet on the bottom is useless, Hows the oil supposed to get caught?

Apr 1, 2005
WA
7msuprapower's setup is probably not something you want to emulate. there are two problems there. one is the hose going from the bottom of the can to the accordian. so any oil in the can will be sucked into the intake. but thats not going to matter with his setup anyway because of the cans location. the can is sitting right next to the hot turbo so the oil vapor in the can will never have a chance to condense into liquid. catch cans need to be in a cool location to work properly. idealy, infront of the radiator, but the intake side of the engine bay should be good enough.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
This is by far the best built catch can I've found yet. (Soon to be installed on my Supra.)

I like that it's desgined to re-route back to the intake, so you have true vacume on the car v/s just atmosphere.

The design should condense and trap most of the oil. It does not have a sight tube, but the top is so easy to remove, it's not a huge problem. (Especially if AN fittings are used, just loosen the AN fitting, and screw off the top while the can is mounted to check the oil level.)

I am wondering about the amount of blowby capacity however. My new engine does push oil out the current setup. (Just a K&N filter on a hose with T's to the throttle body and both valve cover ports. (Of course, at the time, I was running 12 quarts of oil.... LOL Now I'm only running 10, and that might still be too much. Next time 9 quarts is going to be the hot ticket. I think with the accusump FULL 12 was not a problem, but there are times when the sump has pushed oil into the motor, and it's running quite full at that point.)

http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

I was thinking of building a engine brace that also routes these lines. It would be a V type, go from tower to the cowl and back to the tower again, but also have a cross bar between the towers. The lines would just run up from the valve cover/TB to the brace in 3 ports of the right diameter. Then one large port to this catch can. And the crossover tube would provide the hard line from the can to the intake pipe.

Mk3 TurboS

No not a "Turbo A"
Mar 31, 2005
Australia
There nice but hella expensive. I bought the first one in my first post. I should be getting it end of week. Ill chuck it on and take some happy snaps. My thoughts are just that if your going to go to all the trouble of removing any chance of oil vapours going though to the intake just get one that vents to the atmosphere! JMO. It really doesnt matter how sophisticated it is then as long as its filtered to the atmosphere.

Edit just read Supraholics post. I see what you mean, But if it can get forced through a filter then it would get forced through a return pipe going back to the accordian. I really can't see it being a huge mess. Just found this

http://cjsupra.kendra.com/PCV-Can.html

This a very similar design to the one I got. And will be hooking up the same

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
I have thought about building a custom one that does both. Vents to atmosphere, and provides some vac source to help pull vapor from the engine.

It would also raise FC limit on the engine as that "vent" hose would leak more air around the AFM.

Still working on this. but the AMW unit is about the nicest made one I've found yet. (And could be adapted to have a short pipe sticking out the top, with a K&N filter on it, and a fitting to the intake pipe.)

Vapor would be pulled into the side of the tube.
The K&N would limit debris/dirt being injested by the vac source.
The vac would pull between the can and the K&N, so any time there is excessive blow by, and it wants to force more than the vac source can absorb, the filter would be a way out.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I ran an RCS catch can that looked much the same as the AWM ones using a series of internal baffles to seperate the liquid.

At first I used the NA T Piece into the CC then out to the Turbo inlet between the filter and Turbo, As I said earlier the NA T Piece didn't flow enough and blowby pushed the dipstick out.

I changed to a larger T Piece and it was fine and this time I've drilled and tapped the Cam Covers for larger fittings and have plumbed it all with 5/8 hose and done away with the Catch Can.

Why you ask?
In 4000 km's it hadn't "caught" anything not even a drop.
I figure the small amount of oil vapour in there isn't going to hurt anything and as there's no sign of condensation going on it's more complexity for no real gain.