Best BOV ever?!

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
::WARNING This is a Rant, You've been warned::

So with a new FFIM in place and my old pipe with the BOV flange no longer in the system I figured it would be a good time to purchase a new BOV as i had been running mine for 5 years. I love the HK$ SSQV, the style/sound/design, and I know they have the new model w/ the fins on the side, so I set out looking for one. 2 things I wanted, and adjustable model (w/ the screw in the back) as my previous one did not have one and It was a pain, playing w/ washers and springs, and Black if possible. Finally found a "Decent" deal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200491326395&viewitem=

good price, color I wanted,
now notice in the pictures.. there are two models, and one does have an adjustment screw, one does not. I know that ALOT of ebay stores use the same pictures for alot of things, sometimes the picture is not what you are ordering. For exe, my "intercooler kit for 86-89 Toyota Supra" from ebay, was the picture of an eclipse. I know its just a kit they throw together to get close enough.
Also note in the description:

# Easy adjustable to prevent premature boost leakage & compressor surge
# Spring stiffness adjustment screw & two different size give you the option to match vehicle with mild upgrades to heavily tuned engines

okay speeding up. I ordered it. get it in.. and go figure.. no adjustment screw, honestly no big deal, but thats what I was looking for. I contacted the ebay store and said "hey wtf is up? You said I get this, and i got this" (It was worded much nicer and business professional) I get one e-mail saying, they were looking into it and would e-mail again before noon. Well the second e-mail came (late) and here's word for word, they're response as to why mine did not have an adjustment screw, even though the auction stated it did, as well as 2 extra springs.

"Dear ma70snowman,

This SSQV is automatic adjust ,no need any screw to adjust it.... It's good to go already...

Thanks. "

:aigo::aigo::aigo::aigo: SERIOUSLY!!!?? That's your response? :: angry :::: angry :: Even if I believed that load of crap... no I couldn't. I think I'll end my rant there. I was just flabbergasted they would insult my intelligence with such a idiotic response. Hell I really don't care that its not what I wanted, ship it back call it a day, or give it to me at a discount. I know when buying off ebay I got a 80% chance of NOT getting what I want/expect when it comes to china products/knock-offs, but for ****s sake, don't treat me like a moron.

Anyone else ever get these types of response from ebay?

---------- Post added at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:55 PM ----------

:: DISCLAIMER:: While I do not know everything this of course leads to the inherent risk that when 'claiming I do' there's a %chance that I don't know what i'm talking about.

"In such events I reserve the right to save face by fully inserting left foot into mouth and hammering it w/ the right foot. "

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Honestly, you should not expect the seller of those mass made china bovs to know anything....and I don't know what you were expecting to get with that 35 dollar BOV. I mean, knock offs arent always bad and I hear some success with better quality knock off BOVs, especially the Type S ones, but a 35 dollar one....that's a bit iffy.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
You get what you pay for, this holds true for eternity. Plus on the HKS website they said they never offered a ssqv in black. That inferior thing has knock off written all over it.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
This is the type of thing that caused me to stop using ebay like 10 years ago. Every now and again I'll buy something but only if I have major positive feedback from people I actually know. Otherwise I avoid ebay at all costs, it's a flea market allowing the cheapest, crappiest, most dishonest international junk to be sold at a high profit.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
You can buy good items off of Ebay when you look for legit stuff rather then junk. If the OP looked up an authentic HKS bov, he would have gotten one from a good seller. When you willingly buy junk, dont get mad when you receive junk.

If i look for anything on Ebay that i want quality i look for a brand name. If you buy something with a brand name its the same wherever you buy it. You can tell knocks offs when there 10% of the real price.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
joel903;1593619 said:
You get what you pay for, this holds true for eternity. Plus on the HKS website they said they never offered a ssqv in black. That inferior thing has knock off written all over it.

http://www.streetunit.com/HKS_SSQV_Universal_BOV_p/71004-kk001.htm

Mine is black, limited edition pos...like all the ssqv's out there, flutter at low boost...

I thought the knockoff's had adjustment screws?

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Incase you just had to see it on the all mighty HKS website.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

super.secret.supra.club;1593617 said:
http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=image&resnum=3&ved=0CDMQzAMwAg

best BOV money can buy. ran it with 6 psi all the way to 32 and no flutter. and far more responsive than an ssqv

After a few days of noise and flutter I research bov's and wished I bought that one, do you know if the flange is the same as the ssqv or if there is an adapter??

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Bosch bypass valve from Saab. It is almost direct fit and handles plenty of boost. And best of all, dumb ricer sounds don't exist.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
I think some missed my point, the fact that its junk doesn't bother me, and actually thats not a true statement either, because I haven't proven or dis proven that the "quality" of the PRODUCT.
I was disappointed that it wasn't as advertised..even buying a Knock-off... I expect if I order an exhuast manifold w/ a T4 flange, I'd like to get a T4 not a T3 flange. Same here. I ordered one w/ an Adjustment screw and 2 springs. That's just false advertisement. And that's FUBAR. and then the comment of it being "Automatic Adjust" was just blatantly ridiculous. seriously it would take 5-10 mins to do a google search and get a better response. Which I found really funny because they sent me an initial e-mail saying they were looking into it and would get back to me in a couple of hours. At that point, i'm thinking okay customer service doesn't suck. lol I was wrong.

Now if I got a black BOV, that had the adjustment screw, and 2 springs, that said KHS on it (a knock off joke) and I ran it, and it blew apart or something.. Thats fine.. I can live w/ that, i KNOW its an ebay Knock off and I did only pay 35$ for it. I've been around long enough to know what I'm looking for in a BOV, yes the Synaptic is good, I've personally ran it during their test drive period two years ago. the BOSCH is fine for close to stock, and it currently won't work with the system I'm running. As mentioned in the OP, I've ran my old HKS for 5 years, thats from 8-18 PSI. And yes my old one was an Authentic HKS and not a knock off, however for the 35$ I was willing to see how it compared to my old one.

The title of the Thread wasn't meant to ask for what the "Best" BOV ever was.(Tons of threads already on that, and actually I'm impressed no one said do a search lol) . I had meant to elude to the title by stating that my "new Automatic Adjust BOV" would have to be the best BOV ever because I've never seen/heard of an automatic adjust BOV. I just got to wrapped up on the rant to even joke about such an idiotic statement.

dumbo;1593739 said:
http://www.streetunit.com/HKS_SSQV_Universal_BOV_p/71004-kk001.htm

Mine is black, limited edition pos...like all the ssqv's out there, flutter at low boost...

I thought the knockoff's had adjustment screws?

See that's what I thought too, I'd seen plenty of knock offs w/ Adjustment screws, no originals, (hence my old original not having one) so thats why I was looking at knock offs.

Last edited:

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
So you want an adjustment screw on an hks bov huh? im running this bad boy. The single best bov (in my opion) ever made. Its fully adjustable, and has a standard hks flange. But its slightly different than an ssqv. Yes its twice the price of almost any other bov out there, but its one made to handle almost 50psi of pressure and having absolutely NO turbo flutter. Here is mine compared to a can of soda... You can see its true size and adjustment screw.

p1594054_1.jpg

p1594054_2.jpg

p1594054_3.jpg

p1594054_4.jpg

Is it cheap? Hell no. But don't expect anything out of a ricer ass piece of shit plastic knockoff bov. An 11 year old in china made that for a bowl of rice.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
rtrdpenguin;1594053 said:
the real ssqv doesn't have an adjustment either. the old version does but apparently the new one is indeed "Self adjusting"

See thats the concept I can't get my head around.. I've looked at the HKS site, which shows the operation of the SSQV

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

and honestly it doesn't function that different then almost every other BOV out there. even a "self adjust" concept I can't quite accept. and actually, if you look at the diagrams on that page, there's an adjuster screw in the images. (they might be of the older one, but internally I can't tell much of a difference between the old and new version)
You could probably say any BOV w/ a referance port is "self adjust" as that port is what "assists" the spring in MOST BOV's

@TooGoode: LMAO, I first looked at the pictures and didn't even realize that was a soda can till I read it. looks pretty solid too, I'm curious to know how it operates at low pressure.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
MA70Snowman;1594058 said:
See thats the concept I can't get my head around.. I've looked at the HKS site, which shows the operation of the SSQV

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

and honestly it doesn't function that different then almost every other BOV out there. even a "self adjust" concept I can't quite accept. and actually, if you look at the diagrams on that page, there's an adjuster screw in the images. (they might be of the older one, but internally I can't tell much of a difference between the old and new version)
You could probably say any BOV w/ a referance port is "self adjust" as that port is what "assists" the spring in MOST BOV's

@TooGoode: LMAO, I first looked at the pictures and didn't even realize that was a soda can till I read it. looks pretty solid too, I'm curious to know how it operates at low pressure.

It works pretty well actually. At my lowest boost setting (8 psi) it operates great. Not as loud at lower boost levels, but there is NO fluttler which is what i want. At higher settings though (28 psi) its pretty damn loud.

MA70Snowman

Oct 17, 2006
San Diego
TooGoode;1594062 said:
It works pretty well actually. At my lowest boost setting (8 psi) it operates great. Not as loud at lower boost levels, but there is NO fluttler which is what i want. At higher settings though (28 psi) its pretty damn loud.

but does the valve stay open under high vac? IE idle, or decel? not that its a big issue for a car running a MAP or speed density, but for those cars that are still running a MAF the valve staying open would allow unmetered air in, won't affect me just curious about its operation, btw you never mentioned WHAT BOV that was.

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
Sorry, it is an hks racing bov type II. Sounds like a ricer name but thats what it is. It is very slighty open at idle, but not enough to really throw off the computer. I am on map but i tried it in my buddies afm supra and it worked fine. Really awsome bov but over kill for most people.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
TooGoode;1594054 said:
So you want an adjustment screw on an hks bov huh? im running this bad boy. The single best bov (in my opion) ever made. Its fully adjustable, and has a standard hks flange. But its slightly different than an ssqv. Yes its twice the price of almost any other bov out there, but its one made to handle almost 50psi of pressure and having absolutely NO turbo flutter. Here is mine compared to a can of soda... You can see its true size and adjustment screw.

p1594125_1.jpg

p1594125_2.jpg

p1594125_3.jpg

p1594125_4.jpg

Is it cheap? Hell no. But don't expect anything out of a ricer ass piece of shit plastic knockoff bov. An 11 year old in china made that for a bowl of rice.

HKS Racing Type II, and it uses the exact same body as the SSQV. The cover, piston (single instead of the SSQV's dual), and actuator body on the back are different. I also have a knock off of it that works fine (also it's no longer made by HKS).