bc cam questions

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
So I've got the bc stage 2 street/strip cams installed in my car, along with the lex a/f 550s mod. I haven't turned the key yet since the top end rebuild Since I'm waiting on my 60trim and my 3in complete exhaust. I'm wondering if I'm going to have any issues with my factory ecu and those cams.. any input would b helpful. Thanks

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Ya ive never heard of any issues.. I mean as long as the buckets and valves clearances are good you should be.

As far as the tune it might be hard to keep on at idle or have crazy afrs

Supraguy7M

7m forever!
Jan 9, 2013
bennington vermont
I'm new to tuning. I've built plenty of engines back to factory specs, just none for power and performance. I'm more worried about driveability issues.. I know I can't hurt anything if my clearances are within factory specs. I just didn't know what driveabilty issues it may cause, and if I should set the cams a few degrees eaither advance or retarded..

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
With the Stage II cams you should be fine... They're pretty much 'plug and play'. I have the Stage III 272 BCs and initially they idled lumpy as hell, but the ECU actually seemed to 'learn' them and adjust for them, eventually starting and idling smoothly without any outside tune (took about a week of periodic starts). I ran it for a week without a tune and driving was never an issue, just the starts / idling in the beginning until they resolved themselves. The Stage II cams should have no issue at all.

I'm currently installing a MAP ECU2 to get things smoothed out further and lean it out a bit, as it does run pretty rich with my setup.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
theprodigy79;1935978 said:
With the Stage II cams you should be fine... They're pretty much 'plug and play'. I have the Stage III 272 BCs and initially they idled lumpy as hell, but the ECU actually seemed to 'learn' them and adjust for them, eventually starting and idling smoothly without any outside tune (took about a week of periodic starts). I ran it for a week without a tune and driving was never an issue, just the starts / idling in the beginning until they resolved themselves. The Stage II cams should have no issue at all.

I'm currently installing a MAP ECU2 to get things smoothed out further and lean it out a bit, as it does run pretty rich with my setup.

The best way to take advantage of cams is to have all supporting mods, adjustable cam gears, and preferably a standalone. I have the 272's and with the aid of a standalone I have a 885rpm idle and 16-17psi vacuum. At idle you can't tell there are cams and I am making 15lbs of boost by 4500rpm's in 1st gear.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Agreed. I have AEM adjustable cam gears, +1mm SS valves, titanium springs/retainers, ARP head / main studs, BC Pro Rods, CP Pistons, HKS Stopper Head Gasket, AEM Wideband, etc... My Map ECU2 initially had a firmware issue that I had to send it back for - that's why I was testing it without. I just received it back today, so it should be great once installed and set up.

It is kinda funny though - the stock ECU eventually cleaned itself up pretty well. It did idle differently than it did pre-cams, however it started and idled smooth at around 900rpm.

The Stage II cams are supposed to be plug and play though. I'd still recommend adjustable cam gears, and obviously you wouldn't be maximizing the benefits without supporting mods and a tune.