BATTLE VERSION adjustable arms

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
aluminum seems wrong for this application. nashman made some wicked arms from DOM tubing, very beefy. DOM or something similar is what I would want on my car.

dslocal

Nov 9, 2008
slo
can you get only the end pieces?
I have access to a welding shop and would like to make my own out of SS.
I don't think aluminum would be right for this because of the brittleness of it

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
funky_monkey58;1326117 said:
I kinda like these for traction bars.
p1331790_1.jpg

And I don't see what is so weak about the other arms factory. The only sell point would be the adjustable factor.

why would you even buy those arms?

no extra adjustability, no heim joints

it's the same thing as stock but stronger

group a supra

SPAWNING AN INTERCEPTOR
6061 isstronger than some forms of steel if it is of t6 quality now the group a cars all use 6061 foe the arms and hubs
the mkiv has alluminium lower front arms with no problems so isee no issue with it as long as it is 6061 t6 it must be heat treate correctly or use 2024

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
/facepalm

Aluminum is fine for race cars or when you have the computers to design a part that won't fail.

Aluminum work hardens. Read about aluminum piston connecting rods...

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
Suspension components are designed around stiffness not strength as that is inherent if the part meets the stiffness criteria. Often stiffness/mass, steel comes out on top not aluminum.

Again work hardening is not an issue when a component is designed considering fatigue but can be heavier for the same results with steel.

Furthermore the the majority of aluminum suspension components are forged, not billet/cast or fabricated which has a large impact on the components perframance. Remember these cars, like any cars were built to a price, just because Toyota did it a particular way does NOT mean it was the superior design likewise with any go fast shops product.

Last edited:

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
tErbo b00st;1331790 said:
why would you even buy those arms?

no extra adjustability, no heim joints

it's the same thing as stock but stronger

those are the traction arms... not the camber arms, why would you need to adjust the traction arms? wouldnt that just change the caster?

im more worried about camber than anything, especially if im really low.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
The stock #2 arm is way stronger and stiffer than this replacement one... Also, there must be a reason Toyota didn't use a round rod for that arm.

Asterix

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I see traction and camber arms... what about a toe arm with way stronger sway bar tab?

Another question: how would heim joints fair for a daily driven car? I realize that they are good for track time, but how about the daily abuse of roads?

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
No one is contesting the basic idea of an aluminum arm wont work but the fact is how well do you trust the designer. A component critical as a suspension arm, something that could mean death you have to ask yourself did they ensure that the part was designed PROPERLY against failure.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
for racing, like heim joints, aluminum arms are fine, because they will be constantly checked and maintained. HOWEVER, on a street car, imho they are not a good idea. building tubular arms is much safer, unless you have something like the suprasport traction arms, which are grossly overbuilt and would be very unlikely to fail.

it all comes down to preference. if you want to run aluminum arms, go ahead.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Enraged;1335891 said:
for racing, like heim joints, aluminum arms are fine, because they will be constantly checked and maintained. HOWEVER, on a street car, imho they are not a good idea. building tubular arms is much safer, unless you have something like the suprasport traction arms, which are grossly overbuilt and would be very unlikely to fail.

it all comes down to preference. if you want to run aluminum arms, go ahead.

The flaw with your argument is there are hundreds of street cars and street/track cars that run aluminum arms with no problems.

and the unsprung weight you save using aluminum is a nice advantage

it's really not that big of a deal in the long run, i'm just shocked to see a whole board that is sssoooo anti-aluminum arms...and really only because of the material properties of aluminum, not taking into account the actual use of the part.

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
The issue people on this forum have with aluminium is that many people reading these posts don't understand what work hardening or fatigue is and how to avoid it through proper design. It is much safer to suggest steel.

Again aluminium arms are fine, the MA70 upper wishbones are made of ali, as long as they are designed correctly.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
The problem with aluminum is that in the beginning suprasport made the traction arms in ALUMINUM. And people BENT them, so they switched to stainless steel... and have never had an issue.

i think the cars you talk about are all sub 3000lbs cars that normally get gutted... ae86's, s13/14's, fc/fd's... all of those cars are WAY leighter than a supra.

its safter, easier, and cheaper to make them from steel... so i really dont see why he doesnt just make them out of steel and start actually making some money off of them.

Jack

Dec 25, 2005
Stillwater, MN
Actually Rennet your close...the Stainless arms were first and we made a version made from aluminum. The problem came when people installed them they used the spacers we supplied as washers. Aluminum when used correctly is a strong material. When it was installed incorrectly our customers were breaking the "ears" off because they put the spacers on the outside instead of using them properly as spacers.
We have not had a set of stainless arms broken or bent to date. We discontinued the aluminum a while back because we knew there was NO way to insure our customer would install them correctly. All we could do was hope they would, the stainless steel ones are unbreakable under all the circumstances, safer for us and our customers

The LIPP stainless steel traction arms to date have never been broken and it will pretty much take anything, chances are something else will fail before our arms do!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
SupraSportJack;1337066 said:
Actually Rennet your close...the Stainless arms were first and we made a version made from aluminum. The problem came when people installed them they used the spacers we supplied as washers. Aluminum when used correctly is a strong material. When it was installed incorrectly our customers were breaking the "ears" off because they put the spacers on the outside instead of using them properly as spacers.
We have not had a set of stainless arms broken or bent to date. We discontinued the aluminum a while back because we knew there was NO way to insure our customer would install them correctly. All we could do was hope they would, the stainless steel ones are unbreakable under all the circumstances, safer for us and our customers

The LIPP stainless steel traction arms to date have never been broken and it will pretty much take anything, chances are something else will fail before our arms do!

And in your professional opinion, wouldnt it just be safer and cheaper to make them from steel?