Battery light stays on

i_zombi

DRAGULA
Aug 15, 2006
Pittsburgh PA
When I start my car, my battery light stays on.
I replaced the battery, still on.
Even with jumper cables to it it stays on.
I believe my alternator may be bad, would that cause it?
Thanks
Dan

spipedong

Level 2 Rythym Rogue
Apr 2, 2005
Eugene, OR
Bingo, the battery light indicates that the battery is not being charged. A dead alternator would definitely cause that.

Oh and for some reason it's usually accompanied by the brake light. Don't ask me why.

i_zombi

DRAGULA
Aug 15, 2006
Pittsburgh PA
I bought a used alternator off someone on this forum.
Autozone tested it, said it was bad.
I went to advanced, they said it was charging at 17 volts.
This seems excessive to me, is it?

i_zombi

DRAGULA
Aug 15, 2006
Pittsburgh PA
spipedong said:
Bingo, the battery light indicates that the battery is not being charged. A dead alternator would definitely cause that.

Oh and for some reason it's usually accompanied by the brake light. Don't ask me why.
And wouldnt you know my brake light stays on also.
It just gets a tiny bit brighter when the e brak is applied.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
i_zombi said:
And wouldnt you know my brake light stays on also.
It just gets a tiny bit brighter when the e brak is applied.

It is designed that way. There is a diode between the brake and charge light. It's so that when you turn the key to "ON" all the lights come on so you know if any are burnt out. Toyota did it on most of their cars.

The charge light cannot come on without the brake light coming on. The reason the brake light gets slightly brighter when you pull the e-brake is because Diodes have a 0.7V drop across them, so there is slightly more current flow when the brake is pulled.

Yellow 13

Lurker
Apr 4, 2006
Fairfield, California
Jeff Lange said:
It is designed that way. There is a diode between the brake and charge light. It's so that when you turn the key to "ON" all the lights come on so you know if any are burnt out. Toyota did it on most of their cars.

Know it all...

:biglaugh:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Jeff Lange said:

The charge light cannot come on without the brake light coming on. The reason the brake light gets slightly brighter when you pull the e-brake is because Diodes have a 0.7V drop across them, so there is slightly more current flow when the brake is pulled.

Are you sure you didn't design the MKIII?

i_zombi

DRAGULA
Aug 15, 2006
Pittsburgh PA
Jeff Lange said:

Very useful information. Thanks for the post.
Does that have any thing to do with the brake light failure light?
Dan

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
i_zombi said:
Very useful information. Thanks for the post.
Does that have any thing to do with the brake light failure light?
Dan

Yes...a bad alternator will cause both the charge light and the brake light to come on.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Jeff Lange said:
Brake light failure light is not brake light, it's totally seperate.

Actually the red light on the speedo is called "Brake System Warning Light"...this is what I thought he was talking about based on Post #6.

The yellow tail light in the cluster with the "Engine System Warning Light" (or Check Engine Light) is called "Rear Light Failure Warning Light"...it illuminates when a tail light or brake light is burned out.