Battery Cables: Options?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I'm looking for people's opinions and some potential options here regarding battery cables. My friend and I recently bought the last two OEM Toyota main battery cables left for sale in the US, and I've recently purchased another car that is in need of replacement. OEM is out of the question since they're sold out, and I hate the chopped up cables with the cheapo generic terminals that so many older cars seem to have.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket parts supplier that could provide a suitable replacement? Would the cable(s) off of another Toyota fit correctly?

Thanks for any input you could offer!

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
Sounds like a good opportunity to perform the "big 3" with 4ga wire or larger. Terminals can be purchased damn near anywhere. This is an extremely easy process.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
emiliorescigno;1912596 said:
I'm looking for people's opinions and some potential options here regarding battery cables. My friend and I recently bought the last two OEM Toyota main battery cables left for sale in the US, and I've recently purchased another car that is in need of replacement. OEM is out of the question since they're sold out, and I hate the chopped up cables with the cheapo generic terminals that so many older cars seem to have.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket parts supplier that could provide a suitable replacement? Would the cable(s) off of another Toyota fit correctly?

Thanks for any input you could offer!

Have you tried looking at JEGS for anything?

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Any parts store will have pre-crimped battery cables Just select the diameter and length that best suits you, then buy a battery terminal with a stud on it.
These do the job fine and will not be ghetto like the aftermarket ones where you strip the cable and smash the strands down under the clamp.

I usually replace the wingnut with a standard nut so the terminal cover fits without interfering.

http://solarpower-mart.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/battery_cable.323171755_std.jpg
http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120306/Wing_Nut_Marine_Lead_Battery_Terminal.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CyFi6;1912736 said:
Any parts store will have pre-crimped battery cables Just select the diameter and length that best suits you, then buy a battery terminal with a stud on it.
These do the job fine and will not be ghetto like the aftermarket ones where you strip the cable and smash the strands down under the clamp.

I usually replace the wingnut with a standard nut so the terminal cover fits without interfering.

http://solarpower-mart.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/battery_cable.323171755_std.jpg
http://www.lulusoso.com/upload/20120306/Wing_Nut_Marine_Lead_Battery_Terminal.jpg

I use the aftermarket stereo style with the stripped cable and "smashed strands". I certainly wouldn't say mine look ghetto. Although having a properly swaged and weathertight sealed cable at both ends would be nice. I dont think I've ever seen a really nice cable like that though. The one you linked above is still just a swaged cable with a normal heatshrink over it. :dunno:

My aftermarket style at least has a cover over all the connections, shielding it somewhat from external debris. The stud style just leaves it hanging out there.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
This is the style I recommended that OP avoid, not sure which you are referring to. I have had bad luck in the past with these "easy repair" style terminals allowing the strands to come loose and causing high resistance to the point of not being able to crank over. The cables I have purchased at the parts stores have crimped ring ends that work great for me. Just my two cents.
Battery-terminal-melted.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
CyFi6;1912795 said:
This is the style I recommended that OP avoid, not sure which you are referring to. I have had bad luck in the past with these "easy repair" style terminals allowing the strands to come loose and causing high resistance to the point of not being able to crank over. The cables I have purchased at the parts stores have crimped ring ends that work great for me. Just my two cents.

Oh. Holy crap. I agree completely. Dont ever use something like that, lol.

This is like the the one I have for my positive: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17809_Kicker-CBP-09CBP.html

09cbp.jpg

09cbp.jpg

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Thanks for all the suggestions guys - hopefully I'll be tackling this pretty soon. I have two cars, but the dealership was only able to get one OEM battery cable for me (last one available new in the US, apparently). Once the new cable goes on my "nicer" Supra, I'll probably be building something for the second car. I like the idea of getting an OEM terminal and terminal cover, and using a pre-crimped wire. I'll post the results when it's all done (probably not until spring, damn winter)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Battery cables are very easy to make, it just requires some tools, the large crimper is the hardest part. You can just solder the ends on as well, but that requires a torch.