Battery cable length problem

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Well about every place I go to get a battery with every design except the stock my battery cables are too short to reach the battery posts. So I need to make the battery cables longer which they are still stock. The negative is easy. but the Positive seems like a pain. Anyone know how much longer it needs to be. I'm many of you have done this due to this problem. Also is there any special kinda cable I need to from or just buy ones from kragen.

Thanks,

-Steve Z

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
This is confusing. What battery are you trying to buy that the OEM cables are too short? is it the difference between a top post and side post? Is the physical size of the battery the problem? Have you relocated the battery somewhere? Pics of your situation always help out.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Most all major parts stores carry the correct battery. (Not the generics at WalMart, etc..)

NAPA has always been able to get me the correct battery for the car, albeit they aren't as cheap as the department store crap.

You're looking for a 24F BCI Group Size with 700 CCA or higher to match the original factory spec.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
If you get the right optima the poles are reversed and it fits fine. None of the stores in my area had them in stock, so I extended the cables to fit a "normal" optima.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Stock cables for the stock battery location. and All batteries i ask for from Autozone and Kragen do not work due to the Posts being on the opposite side of the stock battery.

So in this case I have to order a special battery for my car meaning the posts on the battery have to be closer to the firewall then being closer to the headlights....

I think I'll just extend the cables. Anyone have any suggestions on lengths or where to get the cables?

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Txsupra;1445156 said:
This is confusing. What battery are you trying to buy that the OEM cables are too short? is it the difference between a top post and side post? Is the physical size of the battery the problem? Have you relocated the battery somewhere? Pics of your situation always help out.

1. Optima

2. top posts are on the wrong side they are farther away from the cables.

3. There is no Size problem.

4. no relocation

5. Pics I will try to put some up. don't know what good it'll do since i returned the battery.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
If that is what you want... then you can get closed barrel connectors to do the job. They are similar to what you would use on smaller gage wire, just bigger and without covering so you have to shrink tube them. the tool to make the crimp is also bigger.
Personally I would order correct battery. But that would be to easy. muzy

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Supracentral;1445227 said:
Most all major parts stores carry the correct battery. (Not the generics at WalMart, etc..)

NAPA has always been able to get me the correct battery for the car, albeit they aren't as cheap as the department store crap.

You're looking for a 24F BCI Group Size with 700 CCA or higher to match the original factory spec.

Thanks Mike!