Ball Joints? or STEERING RACK?!??!! of DOOM!!!

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
I have been getting an arrary of popping sounds from the front end while turning and just recently it has gotten so bad that it will sometimes make the sound in a straight line. Every topic I searched on that described my same problem pointed to ball joints. I looked up the recommended test to see if they are shot and tried it out.

With the front end on jackstands, I jacked up one wheel at a time to get close to normal ride height and tried shaking the wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock. Yeah there was some play there, and it stood out even more when I tried shaking it at 12 and 6 o'clock and it was completely solid. Ok good, I can order some new ball joints tomorrow. I jacked up the other side to double check it and HOLY PLAY batman. As I looked on the inside to confirm visual movement of the lower ball joint, I did notice that it wasn't moving at all. Wtf.

The steering rack has rubber grommets that hold it in place in 2 brackets, and the one on the passenger side was split through the middle and hanging out both sides. When the wheel was moved from side to side, it moved the whole steering rack around. Without a replacement on hand, I loosened the bracket, stuffed the remaining rubber back in, and torqued it all down. Voila, the test drive was pop free with no funny noises from the front end (the exhaust leak and hatch rattles don't count :D).

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

DSC_8728.jpg

Now I have to try replacing the rubber bits without disconnecting everything and breaking stuff in the process. Yikes.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I remember having to replace the inner tie-rods on a newer camry. talk about bitch. ball joints are nothing but those inner boots tend to be somewhat hard if you don't have a lift to get right up to it.

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
It was something like discountsteering.com, $245 + $125 core charge. It took about a week to get, but I contacted them first to make sure they had the progressive one in stock.

An internet search will bring up tons of resellers that buy out of the same warehouse; I didn't have the patience to figure out who the main distributer was.

Matt

stuckma

Apr 25, 2006
Georgia
I also have the popping sound. I took it to a shop and they told me I need both lower and upper ball joints replaced. The lower ball joints were easy to find at the local parts store, but the upper has been very difficult to find. The upper ball joint is actually the upper control arm which has a ball joint in it. No parts store in my area can find the upper control arms. The list price is around $170 each is which is quite pricey. And really, all I need is the actual ball joint itself, not the entire control arm. But I'm having a heck of a time finding either for the uppers. Does anyone know where I can get them? Thanks.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
I replaced those when i rebuilt the motor. Mine were falling apart as well. Now the steering is stiff and feels so much better turning. It just feels better. Elminates the play like you said. I don't know how youd get it done with the engine in the car though. It might not be possible

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Gilsdorf said:
It was something like discountsteering.com, $245 + $125 core charge. It took about a week to get, but I contacted them first to make sure they had the progressive one in stock.

An internet search will bring up tons of resellers that buy out of the same warehouse; I didn't have the patience to figure out who the main distributer was.

Matt

dang for that price i might as well just replace my whole rack rather than just the inner tie rod ends.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
stuckma said:
I also have the popping sound. I took it to a shop and they told me I need both lower and upper ball joints replaced. The lower ball joints were easy to find at the local parts store, but the upper has been very difficult to find. The upper ball joint is actually the upper control arm which has a ball joint in it. No parts store in my area can find the upper control arms. The list price is around $170 each is which is quite pricey. And really, all I need is the actual ball joint itself, not the entire control arm. But I'm having a heck of a time finding either for the uppers. Does anyone know where I can get them? Thanks.

ive never really looked into it, but can you disassemble your stock arm? if you can, maybe you can replace the balljoint with an off-the-shelf version. you would need to measure all of the important dimensions and compare them to an aftermarket item. might take some searching, but may be cheaper. and hell, you could even post the info on here to help your supra brethren out :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
toyota over here sells the ball joint try a diffn't dealer

they come off with 3 bolts off the lower a arm

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
Brewster said:
dang for that price i might as well just replace my whole rack rather than just the inner tie rod ends.

You'll still need the new tie rod ends, the new rack doesn't come with them.

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i all wasy go to a wreaker for a rack just pull the boot back see if it is leaking if it is go on to the next one

re man rack's i don't like to many have gone bad on me ot like re doing the swap

ps use paint pen and mark tie rods if you have to repalce your tie rod ends

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Gilsdorf said:
You'll still need the new tie rod ends, the new rack doesn't come with them.

oh yours didn't? i was looking through a bunch of different sites and some said new inner tie rod ends were included.

mk3_dude

Boost Master
May 10, 2005
Arkansas
instead of me making a new thread. let me ask a question.
My 89 supra has EXCESSIVE steering play. Its horrible, i'll turn the wheel about a half turn then it will finally respond. And sometimes it makes the "popping" noise when i turn now. Can anyone confirm what exactly it is?

i heard replacing the Rack & Pinion is a pain in the glutious maximus, Anyone done it at a shop before? labor cost???

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
it's most likey the cloume linkage aka the linkage just get one form low milage car from calume shaft to rack

in less the calopume is crap then replace that

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
Enraged said:
column steering linkage i think he means, the part that connects the wheel to the rack.

bingo they do were out over time and is all wasy the cause of play in streeing in less you tie rod ends are about to fall out witch is very bad