Bad Sputter (Miss?) ***VIDEO INSIDE*** Please help.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Setup:

2JZ-GE-T with 7M ECU and Electronics. Maybe at 15,000 miles.

Symptom:

Sputter on start up that stays all throughout the RPM range. (well at least to 3,500) This is exactly the issue that caused me to stop driving it over the summer except then it would go in and out. I attributed it to the SAFC Neo Karmen issue.

Courses of action taken////parts purchased:

I had the SAFC reflashed. //// Brand new spark plugs, brand new wires. Adjusted CPS but it seemed as if it didn't respond to the adjustments at all. Checked for any codes and there were none. Then again the battery was just hooked up again today and just run for about 2 minutes off and on.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OddoTpYEhPM

Here you see the car after I just started it. The RPM does something peculiar at 00:09 seconds and then again at 00:47 seconds. I put the SAFC in view to maybe show that I wasn't changing throttle percentage... But it's too damn blurry. Also each one of those pops is definitely a backfire.

Any ideas guys/girls?

Also I leave town on Monday and would love to drive my baby before I'm gone for another 5 months. (I'll only be home about a week)

Thanks a ton!

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
I will do that tomorrow and let you guys know! I tried over the summer and it ran about the same but I believe it developed a misfire then due to it running poorly. SO now that she's got new sparking goodies hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks guys I'll keep you updated!

-Nick-

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like cps wiring. My car does basically same thing sometimes. I mess with the wiring and its died a couple times and its gotten better a couple times. But same sound like a crazy misfire.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Feb 25, 2006
Arlington, TX
Just removed the SAFC entirely and it still ran the exact same however this time code 52 was thrown but that doesn't really provide any help.

I did wiggle the hell out of the CPS wiring while the car was trying to idle and there was no change at all.

Thought?

Thanks a ton guys.

-Nick-

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
52 is knock sensor which will give you all kinds of bad problems. Its either in the wiring or the sensor them selves. Fix that and you should be good to go.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
God it almost sounds like the firing order is messed. So I'm guessing CPS, CPS wiring, bad plug wires, bad plugs...you get the picture, something very closely related to spark. I'd go through the ignition system with a fine tooth comb. Examine grounds, cps internally and it's plugs and wires externally. Are your plug wires shorting to the block.....this sorta thing.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
honeydew;1710641 said:
2JZ-GTE engine with a 7M ECU and 7M harness? How'd you do that?
No. 2JZ-GE with lower compression, added turbo, 7M CPS modified to fit where the distributor was, and a 7M engine harness/ECU. There is a writeup in this section.

eyesoarer6

Oct 29, 2010
Westside
MINA;1710540 said:
what ever happend with this thing am having the same problem and throwing code 52 as well

MINA;1711088 said:
Any way I am still this problem

Fix the CEL first to see if it'll help. I had this problem with my 1JZ a few weeks ago, turned out to be bad wiring.