Bad idle caused by electrical components?

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
I am a little confused about an idle issue with my car. It idles fine under all conditions except when I roll down my windows, turn on my blinkers, turn on my headlights, flashers or anything of that nature. When I do any of these things, my car will drop idle noticeably and act as if I have put a high load on the electrical system and the motor drops down in RPMs. When not using any of these, it idles fine at 650 RPMS per TSRM. My timing is fine, (just did it last week), and it seems to act normal except for the conditions I described above.

Anyone have any ideas?
I am stumped. I have two ideas, failing battery not holding a a full charge, or failing alernator that is not putting out enough juice. I am going to go to Autozone tomorrow to test both and go from there.

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
Poodles;1337013 said:
Bad wiring (mainly grounds)

Hmm i thought so too but I believe I have all of my grounds hooked up properly. I put new wires and connector on the grounding locations that looked bad, and hooked up all that were in fair shape. I may have to recheck the grounding location behind the alternator area (big ground wire that bolts to block) because I painted my block. I cleaned off the mounting location pretty well (bare metal) but I can double check anyway.

Any others to specifically double check?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
what would cause a similar issue but only within the first few mintues of start up? Mine does this when it gets colder at night and i have the headlights on at a stop light. Not a low idle but the battery voltage is high 11's low 12's and then after a few mintues of driving its like the alternator kicks on an voltage goes up to 13-14v. Shouldnt the alternator kick on quicker?

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
normal for the electric load 750-800. According to the voltage readings i get, its running off the battery intially even though there is a load on the electrical system.