AZ Summer Build

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Alright guys now that school has finished up for the year and summer has now commenced i have decided to start a project thread so I can show and tell you guys what i will be doing this summer.

Here is the story on the 89 turbo targa supra, my roommate found the car for sale on AZAWD.com for $800 and we were going to go half and have it be our project car but he got a smoking deal on another car so he backed out. Well after much debating I decided I could pull what little money I had and with some careful persuasion I got my dad to cover the other half and keep it at his house since thats where I would be this summer. So the deal sits that it has to be running by the end of the year or i have to sell it. ( dont start drooling yet guys) anyways went and picked up the Tucson.

Now all the history I have of the car is kinda vague but it does have a salvaged title and don't know what kind of accident it was in but it was repaired and checked to make sure it was street ready again. I looked at the condition of the car and the frame is straight and no signs of major body damage so I decided to go with it. The only clues the accident is that it was a front collision possibly driver side because it had a new radiator put in and the driver headlight is missing the light's frame. Now the owner of the car told me that it went through two of his friends as a project car but the passed it on cause non of them had the time.

Now the engine had a BHG, the previous owner had the engine taken out and machined and built back to stock with a MHG and ARP studs and also has adjustable cam gears. The owner had it running for about 3000 miles when the engine developed rod knock and when that happened the guy jacked it up and left it sit in his garage for a year.

Now time for some pics of the condition of the car as it was purchased.

TOWING IT HOME
p1031423_1.jpg

HOW IT SITS AT HOME
p1031423_2.jpg

p1031423_3.jpg

p1031423_4.jpg

p1031423_5.jpg

p1031423_6.jpg

Now last weekend i spent a good deal of time of preparing the engine bay so that i can pull the engine soon.

Here's how it went down.
disconnected the wire harness, took out the radiator, took off the intake manifold (top half), disconnected the turbo from the exhaust and intercooler, pulled the alternator off and disconnected the fuel lines from the fuel rail. I may have missed somethings but all i got to disconnect is the power steering and oil lines. Luckily the AC was missing (gives an excuse to use the targa :icon_razz)

Here's some pics

Heres the wire harness disconnected
p1031423_7.jpg

Here's it without the intake manifold
p1031423_8.jpg

Couple days ago I made a little more progress under the hood and got everything disconnected from the engine so that it is ready to pull. Also took out all the A/C components since the car didn't have the A/C on the engine. Call me crazy but I'm not to worried about the A/C it doesn't bother me not having it, and it will give more air to the radiator with the A/C core out.

So i got an engine hoist today and was going to get going on pulling the engine out. So I took off the hood and got everything prepared to get going.

p1031423_9.jpg

p1031423_10.jpg

p1031423_11.jpg

Well right when I got the hood off i here a little rumble of thunder. i thought to myself its not going to rain cause 5 minutes before hand I checked the weather and it was clear all south of us and the storm was moving north. Well it started to sprinkle so i went and grabbed a tarp and threw it over the motor and 30 sec later it down poured like an ocean was falling from the sky :bigun2: . So im pretty pissed cause i was so close to day. The only good news is that its been sunny the entire time afterward so hopefully it will be dry enough for me to pull it tomorrow. i can only hope.

so this is how it currently sits in my backyard ::shootme::

p1031423_12.jpg

anyways guys enjoy and leave comments!

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
ya i ran the carfax report remember i said it had a salvaged title. lol ya i know the p/s window is down the driver is all the way down. lots of unconnected plugs so didnt hook it up to the battery to roll them up.

suprahooked

Built 7M
Jun 20, 2006
pa
gurley0916;1031689 said:
i didnt put it on whats wrong with it?

It does not have a rubber dampening in it, it is not balanced with the crankshaft and will shake the crank so bad it will wipe out the bearings. You are better off with the stock pully.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
suprahooked;1031743 said:
It does not have a rubber dampening in it, it is not balanced with the crankshaft and will shake the crank so bad it will wipe out the bearings. You are better off with the stock pully.

I bet you thats why it developed rod knock! Thanks guys i will remember to change that out.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Yesterday i pulled the engine and go to take a look inside, well as we pulled off the oil pan i the first thing i was greeted to was bearing material all over the oil pan filter. after cleaning that off i looked to see what rod it was and it was the first rod and both sides of the bearing were missing. After that i checked all the other rods and they had there bearing but they felt like sand paper so im guessing they are acid etched maybe because the guy didnt get all the antifreeze out and it became that acid with the oil. Also there was a replaced rod so im guessing that got bent at one time or something, and looking at the first rod it is jet black and the main bearing caps look pretty dark so im guessing the engine might have been over heated. Anyways i did some thinking and im just going to save money and try to find another engine cause id rather have something sound then taking a risk with it. Ill probably save up and try to get one from jarco or go see how the engine is in my neighbors car. Hers was a JDM import and she put it in then totaled the car. (i dont know where it got hit so that will be the deciding factor). Any ways these are my plans and heres a few picks that i took, nothing special.

Mode of transportation across the yard lol real redneck i know
p1033521_1.jpg

p1033521_2.jpg

p1033521_3.jpg

p1033521_4.jpg

p1033521_5.jpg

heres a pretty picture of my main bearing pretty nice huh :3d_frown:
p1033521_6.jpg

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
well guys i started to strip down the motor today im just going to put the pics i have along with little thoughts next to then which will highlight the tear down.

k here is the block with everything off the out side:
p1034221_1.jpg

p1034221_2.jpg

p1034221_3.jpg

next i took out the internals

MMMMMMmmmmm look at that first main bearing lol.
p1034221_4.jpg

p1034221_5.jpg

heres the other mains
p1034221_6.jpg

p1034221_7.jpg

p1034221_8.jpg

p1034221_9.jpg

upper left is the first rod that had no bearing looks a little cooked id say.
p1034221_10.jpg

heres the bottom of the head got some oil in some of the cylinders when it was running
p1034221_11.jpg

p1034221_12.jpg

home made crank shaft pulley puller lol
p1034221_13.jpg

here are some of the cylinder tops:
p1034221_14.jpg

p1034221_15.jpg

p1034221_16.jpg

p1034221_17.jpg

Last edited:

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
is this bad how the pistons rubbed on the wall it has marks on both sides does it mean it wasnt bored right?
p1034223_1.jpg

p1034223_2.jpg

top left rod was the one without the bearing i say it got a little hot on the crank
p1034223_3.jpg

and heres without the crank in the bottom end
p1034223_4.jpg

k guys im thinking about taking it to a machinist and seeing if the block is good or not. if it is i will get it hot tanked then possible rebored. i will then plan on getting new rods and possible pistons if they are bad. so i think i will just spend the money and get this engine good for some high horse power numbers so that it will be sound. the water pump is new and the oil pump looks good. i will have to get new cams as they are chewed up a little. i talked to my dad and he will give me more time if i keep working on the car and the engine. i just have to keep working on it and not let it sit. so now i got to get the block checked then do some shopping once a get the cash.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Supra28;1034328 said:
Pretty good deal on the car. Seems like you're making fast progress. Are you planning on painting the bay black while the engine is out?

yes that is one of my goals.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
ya it is nice and clean now. i took some brake cleaner to it and got all the oil out. I got a place lined up from a friend i know he knows the owner at Competition Performance and they might do my engine. So i have come to the figure of about $1500 just in parts to build the bottom end back. The list so far is

Eagle rods $462
CP piston 20 over $490
or Wiseco Pistons $565
Cometic HG $140
Full bottom bearings approx. $135
Full gasket set approx. $120
Piston rings approx. $150
i already have ARP's $0

so that will equal roughly around 1500 dollars
i got a email back from Jarco and they want $1900 for the engine plus $400 extra for the HKS HG and ARP's and $250 for shipping. so that is gonna equal close to 2500. so i think it will be cheaper to have the engine built.

so my plans are to have it hot tanked, magna fluxed for cracks, head and block lapped and have the cylinders done 20 over. i also will probably have to have the head redone i will consider having it ported. now this wont be for a little while as i build up the funds to get this going and to see just how much all of this machining is going to cost me but these are my goals and plans. im going to take my time and do it right cause i dont want to have to do this stuff again.

oh for pistons which are going to be better the wiseco or the cp?

anyways my goal for this engine is to have it ready to support 500+rwhp for far off in the future. lol

oh here are some pics after it being clean and the scratches on the crank and cams

p1036292_1.jpg

p1036292_2.jpg

p1036292_3.jpg

p1036292_4.jpg

p1036292_5.jpg

enjoy u picture a'holics :biglaugh:

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Personally, I’m opting for Probe purely on price.

Wiseco has been around for a long time so I’m sure they are of great quality but I don’t doubt that CP is a good product too..

I’m sure others will chime in with more specifics.

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
Alright time for a little update on my progress lately. I started to take all the stuff out of the engine bay and disconnect everything to get it ready to start sanding down which I started tonight. Here are some pics a couple days ago.
p1051957_1.jpg

p1051957_2.jpg

Last week I was cleaning up some parts and I let them soak in a container of super clean. Well that was a bad idea the super clean is not suppose it in contact with aluminum so it discolored all the parts that i had in there. So I was debating what to do about some of the pieces that were going to be in visible site. Well I found a wire brush bit so I stuck it on our power drill and gave that a whirl.

Heres the results of a few places and Im working on some other pieces. Still need to touch up the runners. Give me some in put.
p1051957_3.jpg

p1051957_4.jpg

Also I had a polishing kit for the dremel so i took that to the cam covers. Im thinkin about painting them a gloss black with the stripes staying silver.
p1051957_5.jpg

The color of the cam cover is what the other pieces looked like before I brushed them

Anyways Enjoy

gurley0916

Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
No Clint I'm planning on just leaving it sanded :naughty: I plan on painting it soon and ill have plenty of time to get that done cause I wont get the money to start the rebuild till mid August.