Avc-R problem or wastegate problem?

7mMoneyPit

Mar 12, 2009
Baltimore
Ok two days ago I hooked up the vacuum lines to the avc-r boost controller and my external wastegate. Now after the hook up I can only hit .54 kg/cm2 or whatever it says, ~7psi, I've checked for boost leaks and can't find any, btw my vacuum is ~-500mm/hg, my guess is either wastegate is shot or avc-r is not doing what it's supposed to do.:icon_evil Any other ideas?

Btw my speedo cable is broke will this affect me in anyway?

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
7mMoneyPit;1362931 said:
Ok two days ago I hooked up the vacuum lines to the avc-r boost controller and my external wastegate. Now after the hook up I can only hit .54 kg/cm2 or whatever it says, ~7psi, I've checked for boost leaks and can't find any, btw my vacuum is ~-500mm/hg, my guess is either wastegate is shot or avc-r is not doing what it's supposed to do.:icon_evil Any other ideas?

Btw my speedo cable is broke will this affect me in anyway?

Considering the problem showed up when you installed the avc-r i would say thats the culprit. Go back and make sure it is installed properly. also you could test your wastegate actuator. Hook the actuator up to a bicylce pump. Pump it up and the rod should start to move at what ever presure its supposed to 7-9 psi on a stock unit. Id check the avc-r first tho.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Have you tried adjusting the duty cyle and the gain to see if it has any affect on the boost?

7mMoneyPit

Mar 12, 2009
Baltimore
It's not a stock internal so no actuator rod, I have tried adjusting duty cycle with no effect on boost at all, before I ran the vacuum lines to the front side of wastegate I could hit higher boost levels no problem. Cant hear the avc-r clicking but I have no exhaust so... seems like wastegate problem to me because seems like it pulled crazy hard without it at same levels.

7mMoneyPit

Mar 12, 2009
Baltimore
The avc-r doesn't have manual gain settings as far as I know it's all automatic on these. If I turn the settings off I get same problem only way to solve is to remove vacuum lines to wastegate then I can overboost no problem maybe wastegate diaphragm is messed up?

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
7mMoneyPit;1363146 said:
The avc-r doesn't have manual gain settings as far as I know it's all automatic on these. If I turn the settings off I get same problem only way to solve is to remove vacuum lines to wastegate then I can overboost no problem maybe wastegate diaphragm is messed up?

Have you verified the line routings to the solenoid vavle. If I recall correctly you need to be using the NC (normally closed)and com port on an external wastegate, while people on the CT26 need to use the NO (normally open) and com port.

Hopefully that is the only issue. I would check the schematic for the vac lines in the schematic to make sure you have it set up correctly first though.

7mMoneyPit

Mar 12, 2009
Baltimore
I have checked the vacuum line routings and leaks about every half hour since the problem showed up the only issue that I can see from the lines is that I don't have a nipple on my turbo intake so I just tied it into the vacuum line off the manifold but in the manual it says to use a pressure only source is this causing my problem? I honestly wouldn't think that you could have a pressure only source without a check valve or something. I can't see there being pressure there at low rpms especially since this turbo has a huge 1.15 exhaust housing. What would happen if the diaphragm is fubar? Would it open prematurely? Thanks for the help so far and hopefully you fine people can help me solve this problem.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
7mMoneyPit;1363196 said:
I have checked the vacuum line routings and leaks about every half hour since the problem showed up the only issue that I can see from the lines is that I don't have a nipple on my turbo intake so I just tied it into the vacuum line off the manifold but in the manual it says to use a pressure only source is this causing my problem? I honestly wouldn't think that you could have a pressure only source without a check valve or something. I can't see there being pressure there at low rpms especially since this turbo has a huge 1.15 exhaust housing. What would happen if the diaphragm is fubar? Would it open prematurely? Thanks for the help so far and hopefully you fine people can help me solve this problem.

I will take a look at the manual tonight when i get home, i am not sure of the external gate routing off the top of my head.

7mMoneyPit

Mar 12, 2009
Baltimore
Update: I took the com vacuum line off the selenoid and blew in it and once I blow as hard as I can (shut up I know I can blow pretty hard) seems like it has a slow or small leak but can't tell if it's coming from the line or the wastegate itself I know when I hooked up other line to wastegate the nipple was slightly too small for the line I was using so I replaced it and it didn't leak I'll look to see if this is the same problem when I get home. Any other ideas?

7mMoneyPit

Mar 12, 2009
Baltimore
Problem found:

not a problem with the avc-r which I trusted from day one, or even a wastegate problem, turns out that this cheap ass china knockoff hks 50mm wastegate from eBay never came with the adjustment bolt in the bottom, I never noticed installing it, what does this bolt look like how long is it? Thread pattern? What does it do can I just plug it or does it actually do something?