Autometer gauge sensor in stock location,safe????????? picture!

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
im using one of the stock water temp sensors for my autometer water temp gauge sensor.

is that a safe place to install the autometer sensor there? its a perfect fit!

how important is that stock sensor,what does that sensor do?? will i harm anything by taking that sensor out and replacing it with a autometer gauge sensor?

Attachments

• the sensor.JPG
    the sensor.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Yeah...your explaining is kind of failing at making sense. Try and snap some pictures and get them posted. There are a bunch of sensors that measure temp in that thermostat housing, so try and get us a better picture of which you're trying to tap in to :)

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
anybody? . i just want to know what the stock sensor was. if it was for something important i will have to put it back. i just wanna know before i mess something up.

i honestly dont know this stuff.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
The top sensor (the one jutting out of the thermostat housing) is the cold start injector time switch.

The one on the side of the the housing (the one your have circled) is the actual coolant temp sensor.

The TCCS uses inputs from the coolant temp to moderate spark duration, timing advance and idle speed control. You don't want to disable or remove the factory sensors.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
Supracentral;1425712 said:
The top sensor (the one jutting out of the thermostat housing) is the cold start injector time switch.

The one on the side of the the housing (the one your have circled) is the actual coolant temp sensor.

The TCCS uses inputs from the coolant temp to moderate spark duration, timing advance and idle speed control. You don't want to disable or remove the factory sensors.

hijack

On the NA thermostat housing, I have a plugged port on the side of it. Would that be a good place to add a sensor?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Autometer sensor taking the spot of the OEM sensor

It can

be aware. Toyota uses Metric and tapered Britsh. Autometer is Imperial and NPT for thier tapered threads. Not a perfect fit. It is an ALMOST fit but you will cross threads the BSPT threads on the soft aluminum t-stat housing if you force the NPT autometer sensor in.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
You can, however, tap it to npt, and get a perfect fit. As said, they are almost identical, so the tap will make the change while keeping the threads intact. You need to use a good tap lube so that the little bit of metal dust stays on the tap.

Did this to put a thermal fan switch in, and it doesn't leak. I also use locktite's 565 thread sealant on any and all threaded coolant connections.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Supracentral;1425712 said:

Small addition, the single wire sensor is gauge only the green 2 pin horizontal one is the ECU temp sensor :)

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
cuel;1425953 said:
You can, however, tap it to npt, and get a perfect fit. As said, they are almost identical, so the tap will make the change while keeping the threads intact. You need to use a good tap lube so that the little bit of metal dust stays on the tap.

Did this to put a thermal fan switch in, and it doesn't leak. I also use locktite's 565 thread sealant on any and all threaded coolant connections.

No

You can not tap it unless you increase the hole size by two. If you tap it for NPT on the current size of the BSPT, all you will do is cross thread it. Not enough meat to form new threads at the current size. Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. NPT is 27 threads per inch (along with other changes to the pitch of the teeth) while BSPT is 28 threads per inch.

Cold forming is another animal but the likelyhood of anyone here having a machine and the correct taps to do cold forming threads. I'll give it one in 5 million odds against that someone has that type of equipment on here.