Automatic Transmission won't engage or shift when it's supposed to.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
As the title says, when I turn on my 89 NA and put it in Drive, it'll go at first. But after its been running a little while (still below operating temp.) if I put it in park or neutral, then try to go back to Drive or Reverse, it won't engage anymore, or it takes a long time for it to take off. I have to really step on the gas and give the car a little push with my foot to get it going.

Then once I do get it going, it revs pretty high for a while before it finally shifts up. But sometimes it doesn't shift at all.

What should I check for?
Metal Shavings in the pan?
Clogged filter?
ECT ECU faulty?
Torque converter?
Should I just replace the whole transmission?

I forgot to mention there"s a weird "grinding?" type of noise that I can hear better from under the car than from the engine bay.

Please help me out as I cant take the car to a shop.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Check the simple things first; fluid level, and check if the fluid smells burnt (it will have a distinct smell).

If you want to rule out if it's an electrical issue; unplug the ECT ECU located in the passenger kick panel, then drive the car and manually shift it from L-2-D.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Yeah I'll take a vid as soon as Im done checking the compression.
Burnt fluid smell? What would that indicate? I do remember it being dark.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 AM ----------

Yeah I'll take a vid as soon as Im done checking the compression.
Burnt fluid smell? What would that indicate? I do remember it being dark.

vabeachsupra

shade tree mechanic
May 7, 2008
va beach, va
What was the outcome?????? I have a similar trans problem. Trans started to whine and slip after a few months of hard-ish driving. Pulled down, rebuilt, new torque converter, new pump, new frictions and steels, larger cooler but still whines. Now if you rev it in neutral it will move forward!! This was my first trans rebuild followed the books but, NO LUCK!