Automatic Transmission no reverse

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Bought an 87 MKIII turbo targa with an auto transmission. It does not move in reverse, it just revs the engine and sits there. On the MKIII TECH forum, I saw a link that said the Throttle Cable (line pressure cable, kick down cable) needs adjusting. I went to the engine side and pulled the cable up and locked it in place. When I put it in reverse, it moves backwards....how does this have an effect on the reverse gear and what can I do short of replacing the transmission, to fix this problem?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
How is it in manual 1? The first/reverse brake holds the carrier. That gives you reverse in any automatic transmission. It seems like yours has taken a dump if raising main line pressure to get it to move is the only way it can move.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Before I bought it, the PO had the tranny serviced (165000 miles), after the service, it quit working....typical....I've got a replacement tranny that is good, but was trying to get by without swapping it. Fluid level is good, checked several times, and the filter was changed.

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Driving is not the issue....going in reverse was the issue.....as I said, it drives in forward gears but not in reverse. If I pull the kick down cable all the way up and tie it off, it will go in reverse and still go forward.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Manual or low 1 means you are not putting it in drive. Put it to the bottom and see what it does. If you can't fix or read a clutch application chart, the internet is not the place to get your car fixed.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
jkendall86;1942787 said:
im a bit slow...i really dont understand what you are saying or wnat to look at in the chart....sorry

What Nick is trying to get you to do is to put the transmission gear selector in "L", and drive the car(not hard and not far), and then tell us how it behaves. Doing so and correlating it with the chart will help us identify which specific clutch, brake, or solenoid is misbehaving.

Nick is trying to get you to preform a basic troubleshooting procedure, we know reverse is having issues, but we need some data provided by driving the car forward in "L", to further diagnose what exactly is wrong with reverse.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
B3 is the first/reverse brake on the chart. Let me help a brother out....

First%20revers%20brake.jpg

jkendall86

Apr 10, 2005
Salem, Oregon
Well, took it out for a short drive. In D, it fluctuates between gears when held at a steady speed. It does shift down as its supposed to when you accelerate. when I shift to 2, it seems to shift to 1. When I manually put it in 1 and drive, it does seem to operate like it should, but im not sure if it would shift to 2 on it's own like it should. I was sure when I started this that the Tranny was FUBAR, but I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something silly easy to fix. original intent was to put a 5 speed in it, but I have a known good auto to just swap. This may give me the excuse to get an auto tranny built. Thanks for your help and advice.