Automatic Transmission Fluid Amount and process?

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I recently drained my transmission and changed out the filter and shimmed the accumulators. Also the engine has been out and all the cooler lines have been drained aswell as the aftermarket cooler I have for the trans. I was wondering what amount of fluid do I need to buy and what process should I use to fill it properly. Unfortunately I did not measure how much came out :(. I cant seem to find it in the tsrm either. I read somwhere that theres 12 quarts in the system. Wasnt able to get much out of the torque converter, but the amount I got out I already put back in with new fluid. Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks
-Stu

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sort of depends how long it's had to drain, these trans "hide" Oil........

Damn things will still be draining a month later, best advice I can give is put 4 Qt's in run it and dip it then add as needed.

redhot91gt

Grenade Builder
Nov 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
IJ.;1529245 said:
Sort of depends how long it's had to drain, these trans "hide" Oil........

Damn things will still be draining a month later, best advice I can give is put 4 Qt's in run it and dip it then add as needed.

Ok, Thats sort of what I had in mind. It has been sitting for a while and has been upsidown since I did the accumulators. I'll just try to add a bit and run it through the gears then keep checking.

Thanks