auto vs manual differences

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
Quick stupid question for anyone who has ever swapped from auto to manual or vice versa. Do the bolt holes on the tranny line up which switching to other kind of shifter?

I'm doing a 5spd to auto swap and neither the auto shifter from an MX83 Cressida or from a MKIII (atleast I was told it was from a MKIII) are lining up on all 4 holes.

suprasom

Dec 22, 2008
Columbus
I will trade you, your 5 Speed tranny for my auto tranny and sifter. if you want auto .I recently swaped from auto to 5 speed . and i could use another 5 speed tranny.

bishop40k

Feb 9, 2008
Lafayete, IN
I love when people question why someone is doing something. As I'm sure a lot of people are thinking, I didn't ask for "hey why shouldn't I just sell the car". I bought the car with the intention of removing the 5spd goodies for another project (my mx83 cressida), and figured I could put the auto stuff into the supra along with the N/A engine and get it running that way and have 2 cars. One fun 4 door, and one supra with a crappy n/a motor and an auto transmission.

But then again this doesn't have ANYTHING to do with my post. I have confirmed that the shifter is from a 87 supra that came with an auto, and I can either use the top 2 bolt holes (shifter bottom to BODY), or the bottom 2, but not all 4 without some drilling.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ran into the same issue here, seems the early manuals have a different shifter hump in the floor, not sure if an early Auto shifter is any different, I'm using an 89+ here.

Use the rear holes, I drilled the floor for NutSerts in the front position.