auto tranny, shifting hard

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
Hey i just got my supra like a week ago and i've noticed that the transmission feels like its shifting harder than it should.

Is this normal?
when i took it to a mechanic before i noticed this he said doing anything to the transmission would be a pain...

i found some lucas (idk exactly what the name is) stuff that you put in with the transmission fluid, that helps hard shifts and keeps from slipping, but i need to drain some transmission fluid first in order to fit it.

my last car was a toyota paseo, i love this car, going from a 100 hp fwd to a 230hp rwd is great, i just hope i dont have to replace the transmission....

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
its reddish orangeish.
i didnt smell it, i will tomorrow.
idk, it kinda feels like it slams, it definately bumps harder than i would expect. From N to D and while it shifts when im driving.
idk. you think i should worry.
i just bought it so i dont have a lot of cash....

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Probably just a little low on fluid. Keep the car on and let it get up to operating temp. and then check the fluid. If that doesn't fix it, well then...sorry. Lol. Start saving. And if thats the case, the lucas stuff may help but it'll only postpone the inevitable.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I think you are stuck in direct, which is a solenoid failure. But sometimes drivability descriptions are tough to do.

edit: Scratch that, and pull the codes. I think you have a control problem, but that doesn't mean a solenoid problem. Does the car take off very slow, and if you put it in 1 it takes off?

Last edited:

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
no it takes off just fine.
im getting it flushed tomorrow. it was actually too full, could that be why?
Also the guy had it sitting in his garage for like two years, so maybe the fluid is old... idk. ill find out tomorrow after the drain it and fill it again.

cry4me_sky

Apr 28, 2007
selah
it's getting the transmission flushed and theyre cleaning/replacing the filter right now. So all i have to drive is my little paseo.:nono:

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
if you have any problems with the car, let me know. i have a place to work on it, and tools. i can't help the tranny though. i know nothing about transmissions, especially autos.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
jdub said:
For the sake of your tranny, DO NOT put Lucas in it.

I would start by cleaning the tranny filter (it's in the pan) and then do a flush. Read post #8:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43347

You may have to adjust the throttle (kick down) cable as well...it's all in the TRSM.

Why no lucas? It helped me, but my tranny was screwed beyond much help, so i couldnt really assess how well it did. And working at a parts store (that actually cared about customers, not sales), it was always recommended. I know the lucas oil additive is amazing, cuz it helped a bunch in my old volkswagen, just dam expensive

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
This stuff is awesome!
motor_honey.gif

Thicker is better, you know. ;)

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
johnathan1 said:
This stuff is awesome!
motor_honey.gif

Thicker is better, you know. ;)
I'm not completely sure if you were being sarcastic, but my old volkswagen was a POS, and had a head tick, and the lucas cured the ticket and slowed the oil consumption. did the trick 4 me :icon_conf

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
Ah, well the POS volks was all i used it for, and it helped me in the short run b4 that car got scrapped, lol

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Burntz said:
Why no lucas? It helped me, but my tranny was screwed beyond much help, so i couldnt really assess how well it did. And working at a parts store (that actually cared about customers, not sales), it was always recommended. I know the lucas oil additive is amazing, cuz it helped a bunch in my old volkswagen, just dam expensive

It's amazing alright...how much air it traps and holds in a short period. Looks almost like the emulsion from a BHG.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

It's also amazing how a snake oil becomes "highly recommended"...no offense, but parts guys are right behind mechanics in disseminating the myths and misinformation concerning lubricants. Put it in your tranny if you wish, no one's stopping you. It will be a cold day in hell before I will ever put Lucas in my oil, tranny, or LSD. ;)

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ LOL...yeah we do ;)

Johnathan - I prefer Marvel Mystery Oil...much more effective in slowing down oil flow in the motor ;)