Auto tranny replacement

SupraKid

Jan 2, 2009
Santa Teresa, NM
Picking up a turbo supra with a blown auto tranny. My question is does year matter on the replacement, i know abs does. Thanks if you can help me

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Nope. Just keep your original tranny harness, and remove the output shaft housing and speedo gear from the output shaft. This would be a parts swap from the defective trans, to your replacement if you get one that is ABS. Keep in mind that there is a steel ball that will keep the stator / speed odometer gear ring from sliding out, so you will need to slide that stator ring to reveal the steel ball then use a magnet to pull that steel ball. It is simple!!! Make sure that you clean the output shaft housing real good, and get a gasket, and seal. It would be a shame to get it all buttoned up to have it puke out trans fluid. If the transmission is out and both are open to work on for the parts swap… you are looking at a 30-45 minute task.

SupraKid

Jan 2, 2009
Santa Teresa, NM
Doesnt sound bad, thanks for the heads up id be looking around like a mad man for specific year and what not. Im also thinking 5speed.....Ill figure out what i want to do soon enough

MA702Tone

Jan 28, 2009
Tennesse
Rite on man!!! I hope that this will help you out, as well as alleviates some headaches haha, I was searching on this forum and came up with no results. So it came down to where I was on my own for “ make this work “ mode… in a short period of time as I went through retrofitting the “non ABS” parts to the “ ABS “ transmission it all fell in place on what needed to be done. If you have any other questions hit the forum up!!!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The 87-88 trans is different than the 89-92. The later was made to handle more torque with a larger piston and extra friction and steel.

SupraKid

Jan 2, 2009
Santa Teresa, NM
Nick M;1553078 said:
The 87-88 trans is different than the 89-92. The later was made to handle more torque with a larger piston and extra friction and steel.
Will i still be able to use the later style tranny if i come across one or is it not going to work.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I don't know if you already knew, so I'll post just to be safe: the n/a A340E is different (weaker) than the turbo A340E.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
idk i mean i guess they dont suck but i prefer a 5 speed. thats my opinion. i wouldnt ever want a auto supra. now if it was a sedan or a family car sure it would be auto. but not my baby:)

SupraKid

Jan 2, 2009
Santa Teresa, NM
I currently own a n/a 5 speed. I enjoy it but the way i see it is when your shifting im still making that boost so that why ill just replace the auto. A guy i go to school with with a tt z32 is hating on a auto doesnt know what hes talking about. Same idiot says the 7mgte sucks 0_o lol

SupraKid

Jan 2, 2009
Santa Teresa, NM
So do i, I could go 5 speed but then from the reading ive done it would be a down grade tbh. The whole feeling of shifting is nice, but then again beating people who doubt the auto will be just as good. Found a auto tranny for 300$ think thats a good price from the others ive seen for sale.

bombinuass

Mar 20, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
i think i can find you a tranny. hold on before you buy anything. i have a friend with 2 87 turbos and like 5 parts cars. so ill give him a call and see if i can just get one from him for cheap.