Auto tranny ponderings

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
From what I gather the auto tranny on our cars cannot hold much power, ~300hp. Knowing that an upgrade is costly, is there anything that is cheaper to beef it up a little until I can afford to shell out the cash for an upgrade? Over a year back someone said something about using the pan from a 4runner or something. Supposedly it bolted up, but was larger so more fluid could be used to help keep the tranny cool. Does anyone know about this? Any ideas are welcome.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
are you fukin serious w/the tranny cooler, i have been pondering the idea but everywehre i go the only feedback i get is that the clutches need to be changed for more heavy duty ones in order to handle it. all i want is to make it to 300hp. thats all i want. and most stock trannies die at about 280.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
The stock tranny cooler seems tiny compared to some of the aftermarket ones. I know a lot of problems come from the tranny getting too hot. I bet a bigger cooler could help calm a lot of fears in a few areas.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
americanjebus said:
are you fukin serious w/the tranny cooler, i have been pondering the idea but everywehre i go the only feedback i get is that the clutches need to be changed for more heavy duty ones in order to handle it. all i want is to make it to 300hp. thats all i want. and most stock trannies die at about 280.

I would put the cooler on & go for broke. I think you'll get good results with it. I've had my tranny rebuilt, but on thing I really want to do is get the new version Suprastick from Garrett so I can cut the shifting time. The heat generated from shifting is what kills the A340E, IMHO. Plus, if I want a smooth shiftfrom 1st to 2nd, I'll drive a Lexus. :biglaugh: