Auto to Manual swap question

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Why do you have to change the brake pedal assembly, when doing the auto to manual swap?

And is it difficult to change the clutch on the R154? I just found out that you dont need an alignment tool. LOL Thanks:aigo::biglaugh:

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
Do some searching. It's been covered plenty of times.

You have to change out the brake pedal due to it's size. And yes, it is a pain to change out the clutch if the engine and tranny are still in the car. And yes, you do need a clutch alignment tool.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
because the brake pedals are different...... the pedals for the auto are bigger and would get in the way of the clutch

u dont need alignment tool on the r154

I believe on the w58 you need the alignment tool b/c you have to install the pressure plate and disk to the block first and then bolt the tranny up. Now onn the r154 you put the pressure plate and disk on the input shaft then you put the tranny up and then you bolt down the pressure plate

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
So I was thinking that instead of buying a new stock pressure plate and a 6 puck Act clutch, couldn't I just keep the stock old Pressure plate and buy the 6 puck clutch?

Id just get the pressure plate machined and use it with the 6 puk clutch. Would it be a bad idea?

Any way of knowing if the pressure plate is good?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
redmaro;891925 said:
Any way of knowing if the pressure plate is good?

not without taking it out and checking. If you have it in your hand, you can look at it and see if it's scarred up or chipped, but it's always a good idea to replace it while you have the tranny out of your car. Good luck either way.

I've always used an alignment tool to put my tranny in and it's a pain in the ass. I'm going to try it without the alignment tool next time, because it seem so much esier. My 1jz bellhousing seems to fit alot tighter than the 7m did. Thanks.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Take the pressure plate to a clutch shop and ask the to inspect it. However most shops wont to any rebuilding b/c of the way the pull type pressure plate is made, but you can always buy a new one.

Our pressure plates are very well built and most are in good shape.

I am running a stock pressure plate and a 6 puck and I have this setup on all my cars my 90 civic, 97 maxima and the mkiii

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
Well im not sure if I should replace it then. But I was going to save a lot of money If didn't buy a new PP.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
I currently do not have the PP in my hands, im going to be picking it up this weekend.:biglaugh: