auto to manual questions.

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
my auto just blew for the second time so i decided it was time for a 5 speed but i have a few questions. my first question is i have a mkii parts car and was wondering if the w58 and all the other parts like clutch and clutch master cylinder work on my 7mgte.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
They will definitely work if they came from a MKIII, but I'm not MKII savy, so I don't know if there are any small differences between the trannies in those generations. You will need a new drive shaft to match up to your Manual tranny, and the W58 will shift smoother than the R154, but bear in mind it will hold a lot less power as well.

How powerful is your car right now?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
they do shift nice. and the parts you have will all work fine. the only PITA is going to be that clutch line. if its not deteriorated it will be a pita to install (ask me how i know :( i just bought a braided line)

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
this car is in excellent condition for how old it is so im hoping the clutch line is in ok condition but if not i will just buy a new one. this transmision is only temporary so i can get to and from work, im probably only at 250 hp right now so it should work fine i hope.

thanks

chris1039

Jun 24, 2007
tucson, arizona
the mkii clutch pedal was a pain to get to work i had to drill two new holes in the fire wall and make an adapter so the bolts on the top of the pedal assembly would work.