Auto Supra

suprarick

May 3, 2007
Texas
Hello,
I want to purchase a Supra 2jzgte. I'm afraid I cannot afford a nicely kept TT 6spd 93'-98'.

My budget is $24k for a car. I want to find a nicely kept auto car possibly. Any color, just under 115,000 miles. With little problems, if at all.

Do auto owners ever convert their cars to a manual transmission using the R154 tranny? Is it much cheaper to do this kind of a manual swap as opposed to a 6 speed swap using the V160? Will it cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars to do so?

Thanks

supramanocnsd

Mar 15, 2008
Oceanside Cali SD baby
suprarick;962977 said:
Hello,
I want to purchase a Supra 2jzgte. I'm afraid I cannot afford a nicely kept TT 6spd 93'-98'.

My budget is $24k for a car. I want to find a nicely kept auto car possibly. Any color, just under 115,000 miles. With little problems, if at all.

Do auto owners ever convert their cars to a manual transmission using the R154 tranny? Is it much cheaper to do this kind of a manual swap as opposed to a 6 speed swap using the V160? Will it cost me thousands upon thousands of dollars to do so?

Thanks

Well I like the auto TT I have .... alot.. I have had 3 mkiv TT's and the auto is by far my fav...

I thought about selling my auto 94TT with 40,000mi on it... but I dont know... maybe tho..

I would not do the 5speed at all... I have not seen anyone out here in SoCal with it the only thing that would save you cash dloing the 5 over the 6 is the cost of the tranny... thats it... so you can save 2-3g's

I dont see many doing the auto to 6speed swap anymore... I see the stock 3040le auto TT being swapped for BL and other built auto trans with nice TQ's.. more th400's even tho they are heavy and rob a little power.. a built th350 would be a little better...

I see alot of guys going full drap taking there 6speeds and going th400 for a drag run...

It all depends on the way you will use the supra.. for daily use? dyno? drag? road race?

When I was in Japan I seen alot of really fast MKIV's TT's and T's... most were auto...

do the basic things if you get an auto a high stall and a 2nd gear sprag upgrade... and you'll be set...

I like my auto I have gotten road head and beat 6speeds at the same time cause my auto gets rubber to the ground better than a stick,...

GotBoost?

I do
Nov 25, 2005
By My Computer
I love my auto TT. When i went mkiv shopping, I wanted the 6 speed car, just like everybody else. Test drove a bpu auto, and i was hooked. Today, my car still is a kick to drive, and i don't regret my decision one bit. And yeah, the r154 swap will get you 5 manual gears and save you a few grand, as the 6 speed tranny is quite pricey. You do give up on the bling factor of saying "it's a 6 speed". But who does a 6 gear pull anyway? It's there more for economy, imo. But yes, it's been done, search this very forum, or contact the fine folks at driftmotion.com

Cayman2J

Mar 19, 2008
Cayman Islands
Switch out the auto? Never! Trust me, get an auto and you'll see why it's the best. Mine's a stock J-spec and I took it to the track for the first time and beat a skyline and a mustang (more than once). I beat them legitimately a few times and the other times they stalled on the line or missed a gear (so they claim). You don't lose anything with an auto, you only stand to gain!