audio experts: help me!

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Sweet--where'd you go to get certified

They had a few special invite-only training and testing groups for the top GG installers back then, and I got the highest score in the company. :icon_bigg

I'm only half as dumb as I look :icon_wink

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
I'll make the suggestions simple:

1. Don't pick an amp until you have a sub
2. don't pick a sub until you know where you plan on mounting it

A small cabin (our cars) coupled with large reflective surfaces (read rear hatch) do not take much speaker to fill the air. Say you have your sub mounted in the trunk facing up. the air will reflect off the rear window forward, almost acting as another form of amplification. a real world example would be to stand to the side of a fan and use a piece of cardboard to reflect air from the fan towards you. similar enough concept.

what kind of music do you want? I built a 2x 10" JLw0 system for a mustang (custom ported box @ 30hz) w/ 55m wts behind it (RF Power) and a 5 1/4 focal sys up front. I could hear the car coming a 1/2 mi away (measured it) with plenty of volume left, but so what? The bass was way overpowering, even at a low level (its what my brother wanted, for people to hear him coming).

figure out what kind of music you want first.
second, to echo figgie, cleanliness is very important in car audio. get a good HU w/ 4v outputs. If you are serious, get a dead head (one w/ no internal amp) Eclipse might still make one, Alpine did a few years ago, Clarion hasn't since 2001 (i have the last model). No internal amp, no heat, cleaner signal.

3. listen. go test out subs. do you want a kevlar cone, wood pulp, alum or poly? they all sound different, what fits your taste? How much space are you willing to give? a quality single 10 in a properly built ported box sounds better than an equivelent (or step up) 12 in a small sealed box IMO. YMMV

4. what is your front stage? $45 2 way kenwoods are not the answer. I say spend the cash for a decent comp set-up with silk tweeters. others may like alum or titianium. what ever fits your taste.

5. now you can figure out an amp. you will know exactly what you need for power at this point. there is no reason to buy an 800w mono class D amp when your entire system only requires 450w to sound balanced. the money you spent on the extra 350w is nothing more than a waste.

just a thought...HTH

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Quick question again...
How do I tune a box to a certain Hz when I make it?

The headunit I have is a JVC AR3000...is this good enough? I paid ennough for it so I hope so.
Thanks

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
bwest said:
I'll make the suggestions simple:

1. Don't pick an amp until you have a sub
2. don't pick a sub until you know where you plan on mounting it

A small cabin (our cars) coupled with large reflective surfaces (read rear hatch) do not take much speaker to fill the air. Say you have your sub mounted in the trunk facing up. the air will reflect off the rear window forward, almost acting as another form of amplification. a real world example would be to stand to the side of a fan and use a piece of cardboard to reflect air from the fan towards you. similar enough concept.

what kind of music do you want? I built a 2x 10" JLw0 system for a mustang (custom ported box @ 30hz) w/ 55m wts behind it (RF Power) and a 5 1/4 focal sys up front. I could hear the car coming a 1/2 mi away (measured it) with plenty of volume left, but so what? The bass was way overpowering, even at a low level (its what my brother wanted, for people to hear him coming).

figure out what kind of music you want first.
second, to echo figgie, cleanliness is very important in car audio. get a good HU w/ 4v outputs. If you are serious, get a dead head (one w/ no internal amp) Eclipse might still make one, Alpine did a few years ago, Clarion hasn't since 2001 (i have the last model). No internal amp, no heat, cleaner signal.

3. listen. go test out subs. do you want a kevlar cone, wood pulp, alum or poly? they all sound different, what fits your taste? How much space are you willing to give? a quality single 10 in a properly built ported box sounds better than an equivelent (or step up) 12 in a small sealed box IMO. YMMV

4. what is your front stage? $45 2 way kenwoods are not the answer. I say spend the cash for a decent comp set-up with silk tweeters. others may like alum or titianium. what ever fits your taste.

5. now you can figure out an amp. you will know exactly what you need for power at this point. there is no reason to buy an 800w mono class D amp when your entire system only requires 450w to sound balanced. the money you spent on the extra 350w is nothing more than a waste.

just a thought...HTH

:withstupi

Well said!

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
using those most famous words: Search

Not here, but google and the web are a good start (/sarcasm)

here is a place to begin (courtesy of google) while it won't answer your questions directly, it will explain a lot of the WHY.

At one time, JL had a good amount of tech stuff on their site, but i haven't been there in a long while. What you will find is there is a lot more to building a box than port length and diam when it comes to tuning freq.

Good luck and start reading.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Sorry Bwest...soon after I asked that the second time I thought to myself..."maybe I shouldn't be so lazy and start googling it" so I started searching and I'm learning a bit. There is a lot of BS to sort through on the web though:aigo:

Thanks...I will come back with some more questions once I am understanding this stuff.

bwest

Drafting, not tailgating
May 18, 2005
HippieTown, CA
No worries. It is not as easy people think it is, yet its not so difficult that the majority of people can't get it. In the end, some good info can save you a lot of money, time and give you a great sounding system that fits your needs.

And at the end of the day, that is all that matters. :icon_bigg

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
lots of BS indeed

but you want cold hard facts from guys that were winning trophies in the earliy 90's to the early 2000's and still participate

http://www.audiogroupforum.com/csforum/

Richard Clark (owner of the 87 Buick Grand National that won 4 IASCA world championships when they were the competition to be in.)
David Navone (Genius installer and electronics wizard. This guy basically invented the mod to use pro-audio eq's and crossovers for car environment).
Matt Bogart (if this guy can't create it no one can)

ask questions but be prepared for cold hard facts on car audio reality ;)