audio experts: help me!

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I am looking to start building an audio system for my supra. I have my eyes on two 12" subs from Audiobahn rated at 800W RMS and 1600W Peak. To go along with those I also found a 10" from audiobahn rated for simular RMS and peak numbers. This is probably a bit overkill?

What I am wondering is what kind of an amp. do I need to power these 2 subwoofers? Their are mono channel, 2-channel, and multi channel amps ranging from low to high wattage...

Is it possible to use one mono channel amp to power the three subwoofers on one channel or is it not possible? What do I need to run to beable to use these 3 subwoofers to their full potential. What is the RMS wattage I need for the amp(s) to power the subwoofers?

I will be using a seperate amp. for the other speakers for the front and behind the seat.

Thanks

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ok first off

what is the goal of this setup?

to make loud booms???

the trick is to know what you want. Because three speakers driven from one amp will change the amp recommendation than if you were just pushing two.

RWMS is about pointless as most everyone except the very deaf won't ever pass 100 watts rms during normal listeing.

best power output.. no such thing. Again. If you want to just goo "booooooOOOm" you will need an amp that has a very high RMS rating NOT peak/max!!!

You could do THREE amps in a bridged setup or one amp pushing all three in a parallel/serial configuration. Lots of power does not destroy speaker. Shit unclean power does.

lil_dcb7

MKIII Monarch
Dec 27, 2005
San Diego, CA
you wont need a whole lot if you want something that sounds nice and clear. as the supra is a hatch back, the sound will be more centered and symphonic compared to a regular passanger car. Hell, a basic set up will do you just fine.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
figgie said:
ok first off

what is the goal of this setup?

to make loud booms???

the trick is to know what you want. Because three speakers driven from one amp will change the amp recommendation than if you were just pushing two.

RWMS is about pointless as most everyone except the very deaf won't ever pass 100 watts rms during normal listeing.

best power output.. no such thing. Again. If you want to just goo "booooooOOOm" you will need an amp that has a very high RMS rating NOT peak/max!!!

You could do THREE amps in a bridged setup or one amp pushing all three in a parallel/serial configuration. Lots of power does not destroy speaker. Shit unclean power does.

What would be the cleanest sounding set up? I listen to a lot of rap/hip hop/techno so loud and "booooooom" as you described it lol is ideal. But I also want it crisp and clear for metal and rock too.
Would 3 amps bridged be cleaner than 1 in parralell/series?

Cup_of_suprA

Jul 28, 2006
california
First of all the car is not that big, so you really don't need a lot of power to sound clean. I have heard cars with one good quality sub kit harder and sound cleaner then with people trying too hard and putting too many subs and too many amps. spend your money on some nice high quality mids with an amp to match. more boom for your buck...

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
I wouldn't mix subwoofers of different sizes or brands unless you have very good crossovers/equalization to seperate their frequencies. Reason being that they will produce different frequeny outputs at different timing phases, and you could get some cancellation or muddy sounding negating any real gains of running the multiple subs.

Again if you seperate them all out properly then there won't be any problems but you'll need some very good crossovers and eqs, and 2 or 3 channels of amplification (3ch amp, 1ch+2ch amps, 1ch+1chmonoblock, etc)

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
if yah want my honst opinon 3 subs is way to many for the size of the supra
go with the 2 12's ans spend the extra money and do it right in a fiberglass incloser or hell do what im doing and replace the back seats with the subs and fiberglass it

just my 2 cents

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I figured 2 12's and a 10" may be too much, so I'm glad I asked.

I will just stick with two 12 inch subs like I started with in the beginning.
Back to the question, if they are 800W RMS each, what amp should I use? Should I use 2 or just one amp? I don't know a lot about this stuff, so any help is appreciated.
Fiberglass boxes were on the list.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
unless you want to run stereo bass, 1 channel is sufficient (1-channel monoblock that you would bridge both subs too)... or you could get a 2-channel amp and again bridge them together. This will depend on the resistance (ohms) of your subwoofers and the load the amplifier is capable of holding. There is no need for 2 amps. One amp either monoblock or 2-channel bridged is best.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
born2drv said:
unless you want to run stereo bass, 1 channel is sufficient (1-channel monoblock that you would bridge both subs too)... or you could get a 2-channel amp and again bridge them together. This will depend on the resistance (ohms) of your subwoofers and the load the amplifier is capable of holding. There is no need for 2 amps. One amp either monoblock or 2-channel bridged is best.

Okay I will stick with 1 channel monoblock amp so I can bridge the 2 together.
What kind of output from an amp should I look for then? Do I want to run the subs at 4 or 2 Ohms?

Thanks

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
More amplifier power at higher impedance FTW!

Get an amplifier with enough output that you don't have to run it at 2 ohms in mono. Most amplifiers will run very hot or be damaged by a 2ohm load in mono. Plus there is added distortion.

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Actually Aaron, you've got it backwards. Less resistance is always better, and creates less heat. If you don't believe me, look at any amplifier ratings--the 2ohm load will nearly always produce higher power than the 4ohm load.

Honestly, if you're looking for super boomy bass, spend about 2 grand on a JL 13w7 and a 1000/1 amp to match it. Then put it in a 4 cubic foot tuned slot ported box at about 28hz...maybe even lower than that. You'll most likely need a bigger alternator and possibly a deep cycle (optima) battery though.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Turbo. Targa. Life. said:
Actually Aaron, you've got it backwards. Less resistance is always better, and creates less heat. If you don't believe me, look at any amplifier ratings--the 2ohm load will nearly always produce higher power than the 4ohm load.

I see where someone might think that, but that is not the case here at all. The reason the amplifier will make more power at a lower impedance is simple ohms law stuff. That extra power does come with higher distortion and more heat. Of that I am sure. Low impedance loads draw more amperage, and more amperage means more stress on the power supply and output transistors (or mosfets)
I didn't mean that higher impedance will make more power, I meant buy a higher power amplifier and run it into a higher impedance load, rather then get a underpowered amplifier and try to drive it into 2 ohms to get the power you want. Higher power amplifiers will have higher output voltage, which will also increase the current, but with more damping. That will give you a much more accurate sounding sub with less distortion.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC

Honestly, if you're looking for super boomy bass, spend about 2 grand on a JL 13w7 and a 1000/1 amp to match it. Then put it in a 4 cubic foot tuned slot ported box at about 28hz...maybe even lower than that. You'll most likely need a bigger alternator and possibly a deep cycle (optima) battery though.

How do I tune the box to 28hz? What if I want it higher for the CR factor:naughty:
Kidding. But on a serious note, how do I tune the box when I build it?

Thanks

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
What about this?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/BRAND-NEW-Audiob...8QQihZ008QQcategoryZ64571QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's the DUB1800D:
e4_1.JPG

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah

actually no

bigaaron is right

higher power into lower impendance decreases the control (dampening, thereby inversly increasing distrotion) of the load. The "cheater" amps did this and they always sounded worse than the same power into higher resistance amps.

In other words an Orion HCCA 225 (25 watts in 4 ohms) could be pushed to 200 watts (stable to .5 ohms) but believe me it sound like ass compared to an amp that could push the 200 watts into 8 ohms.

yes I was competing in this stuff that long ago that I still remember the RED orion HCCA line which thankfully Orion/DEIkilled off :)

Last edited: