ATF Questions...

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
So, my Blue DD Auto is behaving strangely, transmission wise. Seems sluggish at light throttle, but will happily take off like a stabbed rat if i give it more throttle (not stomping, clean movement to the floor). It doesn't seem to slip as the engine speed increases with RPM's but at slow speeds it just feels 'wrong'.

I checked the line pressure cable, and the throttle cable, which were a little on the slack side, so got them taut & adjusted right, and things seem better.

In D, at low speeds, if i give it a millimetre of throttle, you can feel the transmission pickup and drive being transmitted to the wheels.

Works fine in L & 2 as well, and much the same.

Now, i'm HOPING that the rest of the uneasy feeling i'm getting with the car, is down to the fact the fluid hasn't been changed since i've had the car (March '09). I've done 4000 miles on it since then, and it's almost stock, barring a cone filter - so it's not as if i'm stuffing 300whp through it and expecting a stock transmission to deal with it. It's driven to and from town once or twice a week, and once a month driven 70 miles (round trip). It's not had a hard life, but i will admit to flooring the throttle on a few occasions in the straights.

The level of the ATF, after a 5 minute drive, was sat at the lower HOT mark, with the engine at warm (but not operating temp). Taken a sample of the ATF, it looks light brown in colour, still a bit of a reddish tint to it, and the smell is lightly burned at best, but it's thin. Thinner than the quart of ATF i have to hand by about half, i'd say. Here's what it looks like on the kitchen towel:

IMG_2987.jpg

Reckon a full fluid flush & trans filter/screen will sort it out, or is it a case of 'your clutch packs are fried and have limited lifespan left'?

I know more about the control systems/solenoid side of things than the mechanical side, so apologies if any of this seems bloody obvious!

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Should be - i doubt the transmission has ever been fully flushed, just drain/refill. I have my eye on another 7M-GTE A340E for £220 as a 'just in case', but it's been otherwise fine except the last 2 months. Final question i guess...and it's been asked so many times before, but i KEEP hearing conflicting reports....use T-IV or Dex IID/III? (can get any of them, but heard horror stories about ALL options).