AT flywheel/flexplate question

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
Does anyone know if there is a light weight flexplate for the AT cars like they have for the MT cars? I have not seen anything in any of the parts distributors i have looked thru, so i figured I would pose the general question. Is there any light weight flywheels/flexplates out there for the turbo AT cars?

Neal

Jun 15, 2007
Melbourne
why would you want do, they dont way much at all(flex plate). I would personally spend the money on a shift kit.

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
Too bad someone doesn't make a small diameter converter to fit the A340E.
Damn chevy guys can buy 8" converters off the shelf.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
Well I had never seen anything about destroying a flexplate, but that isnt to bad an idea. How do you set that up IJ? Are you just cutting the ring gear off the outside of the flexplate to bolt it up and weld it around the outside? My origional thought was to try and lower the weight in the rotating mass for acceleration, and faster revving. Im used to thicker flywheels SBC's so i wasn't sure how the 7m was setup in that mannor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
It's quite common to tear the centres out Raw.

I cut the ring gear off in the bandsaw then using the end off an old crank in the Lathe I turn it so it's true and neat, I then just bolt it through to the crank using ARP Bolts and I sourced some of the freak size converter bolts the right length.

No need to weld it, in the past I've done this and bolted a friction surface to it to make a flywheel for engines that never had a manual option with great success.