arp studs

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
i just got in my arp;s and it doesnt come with very good directios...how tight should i screw them into the block? someone who HAS done arp's before please give me some basic directions.

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
i would suggest purchasing the correct tap and cleaning out the head stud holes in the block.

their blind holes so make sure you get a tap designed for blind holes.

i used the allen on mine, but pretty much just hand tight, i went like a 1/4 turn past hand tight just to make sure they were all the way down, and weren't going to back out.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ok so i put in two of the studs and the threads stick out of the block about a 1/4 inch...is that normal? should i put in the back studs before the head if i am leaving the block in the car?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Did you run a tap down the threads and make sure there is no crap in the bottom of the holes?

If the engine is in the car leave out about 4 of the rear studs before dropping the head on. Also put the washers in place before placing the head, otherwise you won't get them over the top of the stud.
Then put the remaining studs in the rear.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ok i took the cams out so do i still have to do the washer thing? and i did the tap already they are clean as a whistle but the threads stick up about a 1/4 inch out of the block.is that normal? or are they supposed to be flush with the block? thanks on the leaving the last 4 out thing..i was about to put them in:)_

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I can't exactly remember how far my studs stood out of the block but if they are bottoming out thats as far as they will go.
Are you using a hex head?

If the cams are out, the washer trick shouldn't be an issue.
The last row or 2 of studs being left out helps with the head clearing the firewall.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ya i was lokin at that and didnt think it would clear...so im gonna go ahead and leave them where they are and hope for the best .....they are bottomed out but still purtruding a lil...im using the allen key on top of the stud a 1/4 turn past hand tight and a regular 12 point socket for the bolts..thats what my local performance shop told me to do

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
its on and no tools were used getting it on. pirateship whats up with that non toyota on your pic? i apreciate the help im gonna tighten it down tomorow when i get off work...its dark and cold here now

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
LOL,
I like Subaru + WRC.
Nothing here comes close to rally, except maybe IJ's "tubby".

pimptrizkit

thread killer
Dec 22, 2005
vancouver Wa
eh i desirve it. lol
i knew it's possible to break the blocks (but forgotten) and should not have suggest it,.

now i think about it when i did mine it was a 1/8 turn, i did hand tight once and on tear down found a stud or two lose though i tore down around the 500mile mark and never retorqued, had rod knock..

do what ij says by all means. he knows why there supost to be hand tight,

yes i belive a few thread pretrude, im not sure if it's a 1/4 inch though..

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
might have been more like a 1/8 inch but either way its on and sealed now...good to see pimptrizkit is sportin the toyota avatar...not a scooby on the supra forum....lol...j/k pirate dont take it personal you just helped me out alot...i preciate it