arp head stud torq.

dpsupra

Nov 3, 2010
spokane washington
i know this is on her but i have just spent the last 15 mins searching with no results. i did a mhg and arp headstuds. i torqed them to 73 ftlbs but after tinking i thought i saw that with a mhg you torq them to 90 . is 73 ok or should i go 90/

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
You use the torque spec supplied by arp that they include with the little instruction sheet inside the box. IT is not 73 lbs

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
blackie87t;1715653 said:
90 is too high i torqued mine down to 83. most people suggest anywhere between 78-85 ft lbs.

Some torque sheets say to use 90. Never seen a torque sheet that says to use 78 or 85 either.

The torque spec depends on what you use for lube if any. No lube will be less torque, arp moly can be anywhere from 80-90 depending on what lube you get with it, and oil is something like 110-130.

AE86BLISS

Oldschool FTW!
Mar 19, 2011
MI
I just installed my ARP's today and the instructions said 90flbs with the thred sealer. I can take a pic of the instuctions and post it tomorrow if you would like?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No its fine. 90lbs dry would be over torquing. 90lbs with the correct moly and the torque sheet that says 90lb will not hurt anything.
Buddys arp studs were 90lbs and his car has been running just fine for the past year/25k.

If you use motor oil the torque needs to be like 130lbs.

It all depends on what lube you use.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
blackie87t;1715715 said:
well if you torque them to 90 lbs it could pintch the gasket causing it to not seat properly on the head/block.. just my .02$

Your kidding? Right?

hvyman;1715720 said:
No its fine. 90lbs dry would be over torquing. 90lbs with the correct moly and the torque sheet that says 90lb will not hurt anything.
Buddys arp studs were 90lbs and his car has been running just fine for the past year/25k.

If you use motor oil the torque needs to be like 130lbs.

It all depends on what lube you use.

Actually, the better the lube, the less torque you need. All the lube does is allow the fastener to overcome the friction of turning against the threads and surface of the washer. The better the lube, the less torque is used to over come the friction of turning. What ARP is telling us is, to get the same clamping force with 30 wt oil, you need to apply 130 ft lbs of torque, vrs 90 with the "ultra torque" moly lube. The Clamp force is no different between the two, but it takes 40 extra ft lbs to over come the extra friction when using oil.

So installing dry would require some crazy amount of torque to over come the extreme friction of using no lube.

Also, to anyone reading this. For the 10 time. You have to use the torque specified by ARP. Not every box of studs will always be the same amount of torque. ARP has used different formulations of lube, and depending on which lube you get in your box of studs, will determine the amount of torque. Same goes with re-using a set of studs. Depending on if you use the white package lube. or the blue package "ultra torque" lube, the torque will vary.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 AM ----------

jetjock;1716849 said:
No way that info would be on the ARP website. It's just not possible...

http://arp-bolts.com/pages/technical_instructions.php

Finally, they have that up. But once again, that instruction sheet is for the blue package "ultra torque" lube and says so right on the sheet. The number is not 100% right if you have the older white package lube.