Arizona is Pretty Shitty when it comes to Renting Houses!

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Here is the story: My girlfriend and I resigned a 1 year lease for our house in May. After we signed the lease, two weeks later we received a letter from the HOA that it hasn't been payed for several months. Our HOA fees are supposed to be paid for by the landlord per our lease agreement.

We are renting through a property management company, and the person who is in charge of this house tells me everything is fine and that the owner just "forgot" to pay it. One week later, we got a notice that the sewer was going to be disconnected, because it hasn't been payed (again, it's in the lease agreement that the landlord pays sewer). I called the person in charge and got the same song and dance....

During the month of July, while going through the Pinal County registry, we find that the owner of the home is 8K behind on his mortgage payment, and the house goes up for auction Oct 1st 2008. Come to find out, he owns 6 other homes in the same neighborhood where we live.

Now from what I have heard is that Arizona renters have very limited legal grounds as far as renting. We cannot break our lease until the house is taken by the bank or is sold to another person.

We are concerned that if this happens, a sheriff will be knocking on the door telling us to get out in 24 hours or less, or he'll lock us out.

Even other leasing company's won't let us sign another lease until the one we are in is either broken by the landlord or when the lease runs out.

So to all you renters out there that are in Arizona, beware of the house that you're living in. Make sure that you check that the homeowner is keeping up with his payments, and isn't going to leave you out to dry!

Cliffs:

• Resigned new yearly lease agreement in May for the house we're living in.
  • Find out Homeowner is not paying bills/mortgage that are guaranteed paid for by lease agreement 2 months afterwards.
  • Further find out that our house goes up for auction 10/01/08 as well as other houses he owns in same neighborhood, since his houses went into foreclosure.
  • Leasing company refuses to let us out of lease until house goes to auction due to being legally binded to the lease agreement, and we will face legal retribution if we do not pay rent. Which is tolerated in AZ since AZ renters have limited rights.
  • Afraid we won't find out that information, and get kicked out of our home with only hours to move out.
  • Can't get into new place until current lease agreement is null and void.
  • AZ home renters: Watch your ass!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Find out EXACTLY what your rights are.

In Texas you have a TON of rights in this situation. If he defaults, the bank then becomes your new landlord and you have the option of actually buying the house or renting the same way as stated in your renting contract.

Don't drop the ball on this one, as you do have rights, and in some cases the fact that he's not living up to his end of the contract can terminate it and allow you to be free of it.

Like I said, find out EXACTLY what your rights are, and I bet there are consumer rights agencies that can help you with getting the info and the help you need without paying...

ILikeCarsYesIDo

Permanently Banned
Nov 26, 2007
Hayward, CA
Yes, find out exactly what your rights are.

My girlfriend had a studio that had one month left on her lease. We had just signed another lease for another apartment, a one bedroom in a much nicer area. A few days later, I come home to the studio to pack some things and what do I find? The next door neighbor "fixing" our sink because of "complaints" from the downstairs neighbor. We speak to the on site manager and the complex manager, both saying that he wasn't granted permission to enter. We talked to the neighbors below and they said they hadn't complained about leaks either.

We printed up the California codes and laws, and highlighted the specific section stating how we can break the lease without penalty. This was May 27th. We were planning on using her last month on her old apartment to slowly move things over. Turns out we moved just about everything over night after he was inside her studio.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
That's the problem. There are tenants rights here in AZ, but there are so many loop holes, that you need to pay a good amount of money for an awesome attorney in order not to get screwed!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
If you are worried about this, you might want to call an attorney or even the Sheriff and ask what will happen, and what kind of notice you will have to GTFO. As a renter who has been paying their bills, I can't see them just throwing you out on the street. I thought that this would fall under eviction, and that process took 30-90 days? Good luck to you - I am getting out of AZ in less than a week!

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
wow thats terrible. i hope you can get everything resolved. what the hell has your ladnlord been doing with your rent money, smoking crack?

you deff. need to research what your rights are. best of luck to you.