Are these Block Dowels special ?

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
Dealer didn't have the block dowels and I've waited a week for them on backorder. Only thing holding me up is these two dowels. I figure I can't use rollpins because the holes for the dowels go right into the coolant passage. Can I use a regular steel rod that is fabricated to fit ?

Well got lucky - the machine shop had 2 there I could have. Still doubt there's anything special about them.

Last edited:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
You can just tap them in. The dowels are just there to help align the head gasket and head on the block when assembling. You really don't need them but they really help if installing the engine in the car.
If you're using studs and putting it together outside the car you really don't need them at all.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I just tapped them in and installing studs while it's in the car so alignment helped alot.

BTW used a 14mm 3/8 drive deep socket to get to all the nuts. It had alot of points on it to match the nuts.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
Yes, don't use loc-tite on the pins. No need for it. Also the factory ones can hydro lock themselves as you tap them in if liquid is in the hole prior.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
after doing a HG job with and just doing one without them... i would say use them. They align the gasket MUCH better than the studs ever will... with them in it only slides about 1-2mm back and forth instead of 3-4mm... and getting it linded up is pretty important.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
suprarich;1216978 said:
Yes, don't use loc-tite on the pins. No need for it. Also the factory ones can hydro lock themselves as you tap them in if liquid is in the hole prior.

Only if you fill the entire cooling jacket ;)
(they're through holes in a 7M)

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
There's no way in hell that they would hydrolock because the water jacket outlet is everywhere. If one fell in you could fetch it with a slim magnet tool in the water jacket.

The bolt holes have a bottom but the dowels go right into the water jacket.

Can you believe that the two I ordered 2 weeks ago from the dealership are still on backorder. I think he said they were $1.88 each too BTW. That's before the state comes in for the carnage on my wallet too.

They can't cost more than a quarter before landing in the dealership hands.