are these any good

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
CRAP brazilian or chinese made. Pay 1000.00+ for the real deal or 300.00 for crap. There is a reason the price reflect the quality.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
You don't even have to pay 1000 anymore. Around 750 can get you a new QUALITY turbo. Check VRP in our misc vendors section. Don't buy that china crap.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
either go through a vendor, or just look in the for sale sections

i got a low miles T88 for 800 bucks going on the for sale sections

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
My ebay 16g turbo has lasted over 25k miles still going strong no smoke...thats stock boost though (11.5)

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
Yea if I were you I would trust a vendor on here or the sales section. Unless the person you buy it from can vouch for the work done to it. I bought mine from a seller that had the turbo rebuilt via Mikes Turbo in Miami FL. Very well known builder using only garret internals.

Don't buy an "ebay abuy now" turbo because you will be sorry. They are hit and miss when it comes to purchases. Some have done well with them others have FAILED!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
Ebay isn't a company, it's a site where companies can sell their products.

Hmong_1G;1362161 said:
CRAP brazilian or chinese made. Pay 1000.00+ for the real deal or 300.00 for crap. There is a reason the price reflect the quality.

So if it's Brazilian, it's crap? If I remember correctly, Master Power turbos are made in Brazil, and are very good quality...

and you can get them for sub $1000

Boostage

Oct 4, 2006
Florida
Ebay turbos are not all bad, they are hit or miss. I have seen an ebay 60-1 make power for 3 years straight and still going to this day. and I have seen a t04e fail in a month. buth turbos were under $200

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
I am sporting a cheapie ebay turbo(~$250 iirc). The hot side is divided and a bit smaller than that one, and I am only running 13psi. So far, so good! Its been about 30k miles and no problems!

If you are able to take a risk with the turbo(or any other cheap ebay parts), go for it. Warning though: there are plenty of members who will think less of you :p

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
If you have the money for a name brand turbo then thats what you need to get...if you are short on cash and inpatient, like me...than then the risk( if there is one) is worth it...Plus I'm not buying at $300 turbo and expecting it to perform like a $800-$1000 turbo..I know it will spool a couple hundred rpms slower, i know it might only last a year or 2 with hard boosting...thats fine by me...At least that will be 2 years of enjoying your car while you save up for that monster dual ball bearing garret turbo..

People need to start giving good advice on these forums not hearsay, or what you saw or what you heard...cause guess what i seen garret fail too as well as greddy, does that mean these turbos are junk?

My advice is, if you buy one of these turbos make sure you understand the risk and have realistic expectations, that $300 ebay turbo will not out perform a $1000 turbo of the same spec.. But it will get you by in a tight spot and make fair power too..

If you want the good stuff under your hood, by all means go head no problem...there is no reason to be a snob about it though....

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Gritz;1362784 said:
If you have the money for a name brand turbo then thats what you need to get...if you are short on cash and inpatient, like me...than then the risk( if there is one) is worth it...Plus I'm not buying at $300 turbo and expecting it to perform like a $800-$1000 turbo..I know it will spool a couple hundred rpms slower, i know it might only last a year or 2 with hard boosting...thats fine by me...At least that will be 2 years of enjoying your car while you save up for that monster dual ball bearing garret turbo..

People need to start giving good advice on these forums not hearsay, or what you saw or what you heard...cause guess what i seen garret fail too as well as greddy, does that mean these turbos are junk?

My advice is, if you buy one of these turbos make sure you understand the risk and have realistic expectations, that $300 ebay turbo will not out perform a $1000 turbo of the same spec.. But it will get you by in a tight spot and make fair power too..

If you want the good stuff under your hood, by all means go head no problem...there is no reason to be a snob about it though....

You can thank this guy when you are fishing oily bits of your impeller wheel out of your intercooler.
While theyre may be quality turbos on ebay the cheap no name turbos are overpriced paperweights. A turbo is prime example of you get what you pay for. and as far as garrett, and greddy turbos blowing up, thats almost always the owners fault because they didnt prime the turbo or they ran hard with a boost leak or something to that effect. Not to mention that the brand name guys stand behind their products, ebay does not.

But this is only half of why you shouldnt buy cheap chineese knockoff turbos of ebay..or cheap knock off anything on ebay for that matter. It destroys the tuner economy.
Example: You make a legit turbo. You spend hundreds of thousands on research and development. Your sales team estimates your sales of the item, and the fixed costs (R&D + machinery to build item) are spread accross the sales. You price it at $1000 Your turbo sells well. Its a quality unit. So i buy one. I pull it apart and make a cheap knockoff which is made with low quality materials and thrown togther by someone who doesnt know what they are doing. I have no quality control, and no overhead, b/c i stole your R&D. I put out the knockoff turbo for 300 bucks Uneducated and uninformed buyers buy my turbo like its hotcakes. your sales plummit. you raise prices to try to recover your investment in R&D but that just makes things worse. You say fuck it, cut your losses and never make a turbo again. Meanwhile I make a quick buck, and when people finally realize my product is crap, i walk away rich, and then go steal somebody elses product. Now the tuner economy is drained, people are out of work, and we have no cool new products to buy all because you wanted to cheap out. Why do you think trust co. jpn (JDM GReddy) filed bankruptcy? Why do you think so many quality products for the MKIII supra have been discontinued? Its because of several reasons, however the #1 reason is the cheap knockoffs like the turbo that you seem to want to buy. Go ahead and buy it! Thanks for ruining it for everyone else!

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
lewis15498;1362792 said:
You can thank this guy when you are fishing oily bits of your impeller wheel out of your intercooler.
While theyre may be quality turbos on ebay the cheap no name turbos are overpriced paperweights. A turbo is prime example of you get what you pay for. and as far as garrett, and greddy turbos blowing up, thats almost always the owners fault because they didnt prime the turbo or they ran hard with a boost leak or something to that effect. Not to mention that the brand name guys stand behind their products, ebay does not.

But this is only half of why you shouldnt buy cheap chineese knockoff turbos of ebay..or cheap knock off anything on ebay for that matter. It destroys the tuner economy.
Example: You make a legit turbo. You spend hundreds of thousands on research and development. Your sales team estimates your sales of the item, and the fixed costs (R&D + machinery to build item) are spread accross the sales. You price it at $1000 Your turbo sells well. Its a quality unit. So i buy one. I pull it apart and make a cheap knockoff which is made with low quality materials and thrown togther by someone who doesnt know what they are doing. I have no quality control, and no overhead, b/c i stole your R&D. I put out the knockoff turbo for 300 bucks Uneducated and uninformed buyers buy my turbo like its hotcakes. your sales plummit. you raise prices to try to recover your investment in R&D but that just makes things worse. You say fuck it, cut your losses and never make a turbo again. Meanwhile I make a quick buck, and when people finally realize my product is crap, i walk away rich, and then go steal somebody elses product. Now the tuner economy is drained, people are out of work, and we have no cool new products to buy all because you wanted to cheap out. Why do you think trust co. jpn (JDM GReddy) filed bankruptcy? Why do you think so many quality products for the MKIII supra have been discontinued? Its because of several reasons, however the #1 reason is the cheap knockoffs like the turbo that you seem to want to buy. Go ahead and buy it! Thanks for ruining it for everyone else!

:aigo:......:biglaugh:

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
lewis15498;1362944 said:
Laugh all you want, my words may be harsh but they are true.. and you won't be laughing when your "bargain" hunting ass breaks down on the way to walmart.

Hasn't happend going on three years..guess im lucky...:naughty:

I plan on going with a holset turbo down the road, cause nothing beats it reliability...for right now my ebay 62-1 i bought for my 1jz 260z swap will do me fine...

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
lewis15498;1363132 said:
You talking about ebay like its a brand. Its just a market place, where buying noname turbos is highly risky. Just because you made a poor decision and got lucky, doesnt mean you should advise others to do the same.

Your right, im wrong... sorry