Are there "oil grade" lines?

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Alright, well Im relocating my oil filter and re-doing my oil cooler lines. I cannot find, at any automotive store, "oil grade" lines. All they have is heater hose (which I know doesnt work) and fuel lines. What am I suppose to use??? At the hardware store they have that vinyl hose with the braided threads inside, will that work? It says PVC hose or something. I really need to get this asap because I can finish anything else up top of my engine until i get these lines figured out. thanks!

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
No. You'll need to go to any hydraulic (sp?) shop thats near you.

Gates, Good year, and Earls all make hose that is fuel & oil rated for high-super high pressure.

If the shop is good enough, they will have metric hose. If not, most of our fittings will accept a -4, -5 (metric) or -6 hose.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
pcv lines are good and come in large sizes. if you cant find an appropriate size try a marine parts store. they have large stuff.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
So if I buy those PCV lines at the hardware store it'll be good for the oil filter relocation lines and oil cooler lines? I've gotta get this done now so I dont have time to order anything.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
you're confusing PVC(polyvinylchloride) with PCV(positive crankcase ventilation). you NEED oil lines otherwise the oil will swell and weaken cheap rubber (coolant) lines.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
sorry about the acronym mixing up, i didnt catch it when i typed it. so are you saying i couldnt use the pvc lines?? i know that i cant use regular heater hose (coolant lines). i've seen people use the pvc hoses for PCV lines off the valve covers, but didnt know if it would work for actual flowing oil through them.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
no you can't.

Use these as guidelines: If you find it at a hardware store, and it doesn't say oil rated on the label, it's likely not oil rated. If it comes from the gardening asile, it's not oil rated. If it can carry fuel, it can generally carry oil. If it can carry transmission fluid, it can carry oil, but may not be rated for very high pressures.

You say you need to be running quickly, and either of these will get you there and should easily last long enough that you can order better hoses and fittings.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
there must not be many auto parts stores around your place, because most places carry oil lines. Look a little harder.

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
Well I went to Autozone, Advance Auto, Carquest, and a hardware store. Everywhere around here sucks. Carquest they are just assholes, Autozone employees cant speak english, and Advance Auto was to busy with tons of other customers in the store to actual care...oh and nobody at the hardware store even knew if there was such a thing as oil grade lines.

If I dont have any luck tomorrow, Im just going to use transmission lines for the cooler and fuel lines for the oil filter relocation lines

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
Dark006 said:
Well I went to Autozone, Advance Auto, Carquest, and a hardware store. Everywhere around here sucks. Carquest they are just assholes, Autozone employees cant speak english, and Advance Auto was to busy with tons of other customers in the store to actual care...oh and nobody at the hardware store even knew if there was such a thing as oil grade lines.

If I dont have any luck tomorrow, Im just going to use transmission lines for the cooler and fuel lines for the oil filter relocation lines

You should just stop.

Trans cooler lines for the oil cooler... Fine

Fuel line for the relocation line? WTF? The biggest fuel line you will get at a parts store is 7/16. However, this is only rated for 15-20 psi max. If you were to use fuel injection line(that comes in 3/8's or 5/16's only) it will be too small, but it would hold the pressure for a period of time anyway.

Problem is, all that stuff is too small to flow the amount of oil your engine needs. So, you use the "big " coolant hose(only rated for 19 psi btw) thats not oil compatible, an oil line busts and your engine blows up. You use the small line; you starve the bearings for oil.... and your engine blows up.

Are you REALLY in that big of a hurry to not get the right stuff?

Back2Basics

Regular
Dec 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
The thing is, I cant afford stainless braided. So I need rubber. Im going to check some mechanic shops and dealerships to see if they'll sell me some by the foot.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
how about a tractor supply co. around your area? most heavy equip. places and agri places will have it.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Transmission oil cooler hose works. I used it on my car before, but that was for the stock cooler.

Go to summitracing.com
they have anything and everything you'll need.