Are coilovers really worth it?

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
To the OP, if you're really limited budget wise I'd look to swaybars and bushings first. Like anything you're restricted by the weakest link, broken/torn bushings would be that as they control movement and transfer feedback. Swaybars are still the single best handling mod I've done.

That being said you can make a Supra handle very well with just decent shocks and springs if everything else is in order.

Coilovers can be worth it, but from a height adjustability standpoint and stroke to match the setup. Like Grim said, travel is important, unless you're in a kart you need it, moreso on a heavy car. I don't touch the rebound adjustments on mine because I don't think it's much beyond placebo as the adjustment isn't linear for average shocks. Go with a big name (no I don't mean anything available for the mk3) and they 'can' be more accurate.

I had some videos up but haven't put any up in a while, didn't have much interest. Found an old auto-x one here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYgWuHYkt2w
Didn't see any of my track stuff.

supramang

Jun 14, 2008
Farmington
I guess before everyone gets too crazy about this, one should assess the quality of their roads before they buy a set of coilovers. If you have MN style roads then the hell with it, get some rally specs lol! If its mainly a street car anyway. I'm running the stance setup and I can't see these lasting very long before a rebuild is in order; the road just destroys them. Beyond that situation the coilovers are by far a better investment than a standard shock/spring setup. I too ran the bilsteins with rsr springs. Also as previous posts have mentioned, the bushings go a long ways.. everything on the car needs infrastructure before modification especially with how old these cars are.

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
I've got all energy poly bushings just haven't got around to installing them, but as far as sway bars i've read on forums not to upgrade them because something to do with not getting as much traction when sideways. I've even seen guys not run a rear sway bar and say it felt better than with it since a sway bar isn't the main thing controlling body roll on a double wishbone suspension. Ever since i originally posted i've read up a lot and decided i'm definitely going with coilovers and not gonna mess with shock/spring setup. I'm actually thinking about giving the zankoku ones a shot. Grimsta seems like hes done his research and that has made me more confident in going with his. So i guess ill see how that goes when i get some more money for them.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
dmiller;1671918 said:
Hey grimsta do you know anything about the cx racing coilovers? I know you sell cx stuff so just wondering if you have experience with them. I don't think they would be very good with those springrates, but not sure.
That'd be a negative there. Just like GodSpeeds. I got love for several things from GodSpeed and CX... but their coilovers isnt one of those