Are coilovers really worth it?

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Grimsta;1657443 said:
No Poodles, he's talking about drifting. Drifting doesnt actually require complex suspension, its just gotta be stiff and low. Thats what gets the points and what matters in DRIFTING

[strike]Your a god damn fucking idiot[/strike], and if this is how you setup up your coilovers than they must perform terribly. I feel bad for anyone that purchases budget coilovers from a vendor who believes "stiff and low" is all that matters for drifting.

FYI, you actually want suspension travel, especially in the rear, to have a good drift setup.

It pisses me off that there are still vendors around like this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
tErbo b00st;1659775 said:
[strike]Your a god damn fucking idiot[/strike], and if this is how you setup up your coilovers than they must perform terribly. I feel bad for anyone that purchases budget coilovers from a vendor who believes "stiff and low" is all that matters for drifting.

FYI, you actually want suspension travel, especially in the rear, to have a good drift setup.

If you actually READ entire other posts instead of focusing on one point, I never said thats what I think matters. I come from a road racing background where proper suspension geometry and angles are very closely scrutinized. I was talking about what the OP posted about drifting. And NO, thats NOT how our suspension is designed. Our coilovers are actually designed with alot of travel. I've compared out actual damper cartidges to others and they're actually a bit longer which would make it seem like our suspension couldnt go as low, BUT the way we've designed our lower brackets let you go real real low if you want.

But drift setups are not rocket science really. Of course you shouldnt overlower, and our S13 isnt as overlowered as other cars in our area, but look at the reality, they do it and they drift good. Most DRIFTERS dont care about that though. They want the lowest and the stiffest, which is what the guy in the beginning is getting at. I dont agree with it because usually on most cars when you go as low as they want to go, the angles are terrible. When you look at real pro top tier cars, they arent "hellaflush" like the drifting enthusiasts think they need to be.
However drifting is subject to judging, and the judgin in the comps that you have to go thru to get pro licenses like seeing real low scraping cars. It you wanna please the judges you have to do that

So before you go calling someone and idiot that you have no idea who they are, better get an idea of what we're actually talking about here

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
tErbo b00st;1659775 said:

You just dont want to be on bump stops at all. You want the shock/spring in the coilover to do there work. You have to be slammed and the suspension stiff so you dont get roll and styule points

Most drift cars are completely retarded to drive off the track to unless you change the suspension back to street.

My roommates s13 has tiens that can put the cars frame on the ground. No where near driveable but they go that low.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
/\/\ Word to the bumpstops and travel. Thats why most coilovers these days are all built with independent ride height travel. Where the damper cartridge threads into the lower bracket for ride height adjustment. Thats what allows you to go real low and not compromise the travel, like you would with a threaded sleeve on a shock

Laotianracer- our default spring rates are 14/10, custom rates with appropriate valving available at no additional cost though

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Poodles;1669161 said:
Threaded body is a gimmick as you're still limiting travel. Adjustability =/= good.

When the Tire hits the inner fender....

There is only xx room above the tire no magic shock is going to alter this fact.

for 95% of people a well matched Spring/Damper combination will do the trick, no use having 99 way adjustable shocks if only 4 of those adjustments suit the car dynamics or if the owner has NFI what any/all of them actually do.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Same goes for adjusters that are inaccurate or shocks with improper valving. As an example I had 3 shocks that extended very slowly on a set of used coilovers I bought. I assumed it was just the harsh ride of the coilovers and learned to drive around them. Discovered 3 were bad when going to change to softer springs. Had all rebuilt, reinstalled and took 4 sec. off my best time on track (still somewhat of a Noob so I'd attribute a couple seconds to early learning curve and 2 to the improved feel/grip)

Independent height adjustment also allows proper setting of corner heights and weight balance. I've done this without scales but when weighed at the track found I was 49.5/50.5 cross weight. That goes along way for balance and grip, probably a reason I normally beat similarly prepared M3's and subies at auto-x. Car is quicker in corners than straights :)

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
prsrcokr;1669289 said:
That goes along way for balance and grip, probably a reason I normally beat similarly prepared M3's and subies at auto-x. Car is quicker in corners than straights :)
Could i get some vids? C:, not calling you out, but i think it would be sooo bad ass to see mk3's out cornering subies.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
AWD is nice but its not perfect and has its downsides. Power to weight with the right distribution. Reason why miatas own most if not all tracks.(not 1/4 mile)

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Poodles;1669161 said:
Threaded body is a gimmick as you're still limiting travel.
Not really, if the only limit of travel you're talking about is what IJ is talking about. Then yes. But you still have your full range of travel regardless of what height your vehicle is at so you're NOT limiting travel. In that case it'd be your chassis that is limiting the travel ;)

IJ.;1669277 said:
When the Tire hits the inner fender....

There is only xx room above the tire no magic shock is going to alter this fact.

for 95% of people a well matched Spring/Damper combination will do the trick, no use having 99 way adjustable shocks if only 4 of those adjustments suit the car dynamics or if the owner has NFI what any/all of them actually do.
Werd on the 99 way. Thats we just incorporated 12 ways that ACTUALLY make differences.

prsrcokr;1669289 said:
Independent height adjustment also allows proper setting of corner heights and weight balance.
Right there, corner balance. And INDEPENDENT ride height means you can set the ride height without affecting your spring preload. Which you CANT do with KWs since they dont have independent ride height. To alter your ride height on those you're going to alter your spring preload. NOw dont mis-read that, i'm not in anyway knocking KWs, we all know how good they, just giving an example

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No, as a threaded body to make a short dampener means shorter stroke. Yet again, it's a gimmick, not to mention it's one more failure point.

Corner balance I don't really want to get into as preload offsets the added weight in a corner that's heavier instead of just jacking that side up. There is a reason that corner is heavier and sagging...

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
Whoa, KW offers something for the a70? Did I miss something? I've requested some info from them a few times with no response.

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
prsrcokr;1669534 said:
Whoa, KW offers something for the a70? Did I miss something? I've requested some info from them a few times with no response.
No i was just giving an example

Poodles;1669392 said:
No, as a threaded body to make a short dampener means shorter stroke. Yet again, it's a gimmick, not to mention it's one more failure point.

Corner balance I don't really want to get into as preload offsets the added weight in a corner that's heavier instead of just jacking that side up. There is a reason that corner is heavier and sagging...
Oh i think I see what you're talking about. But you see as you go lower and have a stiffer spring spring it will travel less so less travel is needed PLUS the body isnt shortened by a drastic amount that really matters. The truth is they still maintain a very good amount of travel.
And I didnt say to adjust preload to corner balance, quite the opposite

chiguro

Mar 7, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
prsrcokr;1669534 said:

Which of the KW Coil Overs are they offering for the "A70"? I'd be interested. Where on there website list the A70? Thank for the heads up...

dmiller

suspension>power
Jun 30, 2009
Vancouver, Washington
Hey grimsta do you know anything about the cx racing coilovers? I know you sell cx stuff so just wondering if you have experience with them. I don't think they would be very good with those springrates, but not sure.