Anyone use KYB GR-2 struts?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Basically an aftermarket replacement for stock. It's supposed to be a bit higher damping rates than the stocks, but you probably would not notice a difference. Can be used with MILD lowering springs at slightly higher rates. With stock springs, it's a stock ride.

Struts don't lower the car. Springs lower the car. If you keep the stock springs, you'll keep the stock ride height.

I have 4 brand new ones in box in my garage, just waiting for me to have the time to install.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Dan_Gyoba;1757116 said:
Basically an aftermarket replacement for stock. It's supposed to be a bit higher damping rates than the stocks, but you probably would not notice a difference. Can be used with MILD lowering springs at slightly higher rates. With stock springs, it's a stock ride.

Struts don't lower the car. Springs lower the car. If you keep the stock springs, you'll keep the stock ride height.

I have 4 brand new ones in box in my garage, just waiting for me to have the time to install.

Bilsteins can lower the car because of the adjustable spring perches, but that's the exception to the rule.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
i have them and love them for the price $171 shipped can't beat that! there stiff but not to stiff and great for daily driving if you dont want coilovers..

but if you have more money to spend i would go with Bilsteins there $400 all for but they come with lifetime warranty plus there adjustable

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
firmer as in better handling, or just firmer ? I think there is an important distinction, and was just curious what you meant. I am currently trying to decide what suspension to go with. Also, what did you do with the RSR? I think RSR with bilstein or koni yellows would be an interesting combo.

To OP, do you have TEMS? Because I was under the impression the kyb are not compatible

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
BigKO;1757371 said:
firmer as in better handling, or just firmer ? I think there is an important distinction, and was just curious what you meant. I am currently trying to decide what suspension to go with. Also, what did you do with the RSR? I think RSR with bilstein or koni yellows would be an interesting combo.

To OP, do you have TEMS? Because I was under the impression the kyb are not compatible

If you want to keep tems, there are only a few options. Tokico illuminas or trd, maybe another I don't know of?

Personally, I'd love to go tein with the adjustment

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
suprarx7nut;1757374 said:
If you want to keep tems, there are only a few options. Tokico illuminas or trd, maybe another I don't know of?

Personally, I'd love to go tein with the adjustment

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I agree but tein with EDFC is big baller status. Yeah like you said i think the only two are tokico or toyota for TEMS. Im just so tired of my stock ride height and too much body roll.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
I've had them on my lowered Supra since 2005, and they keep the Supra very predicable through rough turns, at near the limits of the tires grip. They provide more rebound and help with compliance on rough roads, and are my choice for a DD. Van

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
BigKO;1757371 said:

The Tokico's I have feel a little "bouncier" than the KYB's, but then again, I got the Tokico's used, so they are probably a lot more worn than the KYB's I bought new. With the RSR springs, I have them paired with Tokico Illumina II's which maintain the TEMS capability. The previous owner of the RSR springs had them paired with Koni yellows before he went with coilovers. I have a set of JDM Bilstein yellows that I may pair up with the RSR's next, so we'll see how it feels then.

And yes, KYB's are not compatible with TEMS. On my N/A with KYB's, I took off the TEMS modules on the top of the struts, but put the metal covers back on. I still have the buttons in the cabin though. As Van said, the KYB's are a great choice for a DD. No complaints from the 5k+ miles I've put on my KYB's on my N/A.