Anyone tried these D2 coilovers?

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
Hi my name is Todd, I am new to this whole forum thing. This is my first post, I have just done ALOT of reading, but anyways to my question. I was wondering if anyone has tried these D2 coilovers. I picked these up off a guy who lost interest in his supra for $200 brand new in the box. I really haven't found out to much information on them or even got a chance to put them on my car. I hopfully will be trying them out in the next couple weeks, but I really want to know how they ride, and how durable they are. If you all could let me know I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance, Todd

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Like I said, from most other car experiences, D2/KSport are the same, but they look different. Same internals/spring rates as far as I know.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Well even if they don't last long, I'm sure you can get them rebuilt for cheap by D2/KSport. Win/win situation IMO.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Ma70.Ent;1702449 said:
I hear D2 Coilovers are pretty much equivalent to KSport Coilovers...

Which means they suck. I have also heard over the years that they are the same.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Please do not put cheap crap coil-overs on your car, in this case you aren't even getting what you pay for, and that isn't much.

Go with a Bilstein coil-over setup or a reputable shock and spring or something for the same money if you can't afford a better suspension setup. You can rebuild a Bilstein shock forever also, and have them re-valved to whatever rates you want to match whatever spring setup you want! They won't do that at K-Sport or D2 or any other china coilover that comes out of the same child-labor factory but is anodized a different color.
Anything is better than those china knock-off, strut leaking, strut breaking, lower mount breaking, complete shock-dyno failure coil-overs.

R3N5LOW

Jan 18, 2009
OREEGON
Haha slow your roll there. I've been using D2's for the last 3 years and i've had no problems what so ever. If they're not maxed out then the ride is moneey. You can make them as comfortable as stock suspension and still be able to take corners twice as fast.

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
Well I also have a set of KYB gr2's that are one the car now and a set of tokico illumina II's with eibach springs, I just figured I would throw the d2's on and see how they are, if I blow one oh well I will just throw the illumina's on and give those a shot. JPsToyota thanks for the input.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Alright man, personally I would sell them for a profit as they might not be worth much after being used, especially if you drive them until one blows out. If you want to give them a try, go for it. You need to do what you want.

Though, I'm not some lone crazy guy here, you can search for KSport and D2 blown shocks and problems even though they do their best to discredit and cover them up. The early generations were just straight junk.

No offense to the guy with them on his car (I had them too, they sit on my garage floor now), but generally you will see the people and car communities in-the-know steer you away from them. As I said, I owned them and they eventually ruined my daily driver until I could afford to replace them. They wanted me to pay them $100 a shock to "rebuild" their junk. (I'm sure they just slip in a different crappy shock). Maybe they are on like generation 4 of their products and they are much improved, but I wouldn't give either company a dime.
Bilstein, a time and race proven shock company, charges less for a rebuild and custom valving of their shocks with a lifetime warranty. Just sayin'

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
JPsToyota;1702798 said:
Alright man, personally I would sell them for a profit as they might not be worth much after being used, especially if you drive them until one blows out. If you want to give them a try, go for it. You need to do what you want.

Though, I'm not some lone crazy guy here, you can search for KSport and D2 blown shocks and problems even though they do their best to discredit and cover them up. The early generations were just straight junk.

No offense to the guy with them on his car (I had them too, they sit on my garage floor now), but generally you will see the people and car communities in-the-know steer you away from them. As I said, I owned them and they eventually ruined my daily driver until I could afford to replace them. They wanted me to pay them $100 a shock to "rebuild" their junk. (I'm sure they just slip in a different crappy shock). Maybe they are on like generation 4 of their products and they are much improved, but I wouldn't give either company a dime.
Bilstein, a time and race proven shock company, charges less for a rebuild and custom valving of their shocks with a lifetime warranty. Just sayin'

^I'm with him, i had KSports and brand new from KSport i had issues with valving SUCKING so bad it would make my front end feel "floaty" Got rid of em to pay for a used set of TEIN SS's which feel 100x better. These are just entry level coilovers w/pillow mounts...

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

JPsToyota;1702798 said:

^I'm with him, i had KSports and brand new from KSport i had issues with valving SUCKING so bad it would make my front end feel "floaty" Got rid of em to pay for a used set of TEIN SS's which feel 100x better. These are just entry level coilovers w/pillow mounts...

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
I may end up taking your advice and putting them up f/s, the only down side is I put them on a car (with no motor or trans) to see how they fit so now they dont look "brand new" but they really are as they have never been driven on. I suppose I could atleast see what I can get for offers so that I could get something alittle better, but really thanks for letting me know what you guys think of them.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Shit I would try them and would have bought them also for $200 but tein and other company's are better but they come with a priece let me know if you go with something else

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
I bet you could get at least half of the listed "new" price for them if they really have 0 miles. Which is a lot more than what you bought them for. Clean them up best you can first and explain in your sale that you just test fit them on your build car and never drove on them.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
90mkiiisupra400hp;1702794 said:
Well I also have a set of KYB gr2's that are one the car now and a set of tokico illumina II's with eibach springs, I just figured I would throw the d2's on and see how they are, if I blow one oh well I will just throw the illumina's on and give those a shot. JPsToyota thanks for the input.

i have kyb gr2s last year 25k miles on them im nothing but pleased a lot of hard driving on them no track time yet...but heck for 171 shipped off rockauto.com for all 4 now thats a deal!

90mkiiisupra400hp

Mar 20, 2011
Gardiner, Maine
I am still debating on what I am going to do, it will be a few more weeks before the car is going again(waiting for hose techniques kit), but I will probly stick with the kyb's at first to see how those are, then MAYBE try out the D2's, I would throw on the tokico's but I forgot this car doesn't have tems so it's kinda pointless. Thanks again for the input guys, I appreciate it.